Olympus 770 SW

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:37 AM

Today we got one of the Olympus 770 SW camera's in the mail.

Posted Image

Took it out side and took some pics, seems it has pixel problems so off it goes same day back again to the shop, 800km away :)

The shop told us that it could be the memory card or computer monitor or somethig on the lens.... :rolleyes:
I suppose they know as they are the professionals :angry: .... lets see what they come back with. ;)

We just want our money back. :o

block.jpg

block1.jpg
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 Carlos Morais

Carlos Morais

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Fotografia Subaquática Digital

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

Hi,

I'm also interested to see photos from this camera. Do you have another UW photos?
Homepage: www.azulprofundo.com
Equipment: Nikon D70, Subal ND70, Nik 10.5mm, Nik 105mm, Nik 60mm, Tok 10-17, Subtronic Alpha Pro, Sea&Sea YS-110

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hey Wags, I have one of these, and mine didn't have any problems. It is a good camera and takes great pics but I wouldn't use it as an underwater camera. But I like it a lot because I can take it to the beach or out in boats and not worry about water spray...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:25 PM

I have one. Takes great snap shots.

I have taken it snorkelling and dived down to about 5 meters. It worked fine. Of course, the onboard flash highlights back-scatter so its best without the flash turned on.

Lovely little camera. Great for swimming, photos in the rain, on the beach etc. I took some lovely photos in the pool as I was teaching my 4yo daughter how to snorkel.

Regards
Peter

#5 Carlos Morais

Carlos Morais

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Fotografia Subaquática Digital

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

some UW photos please, please ;)
Homepage: www.azulprofundo.com
Equipment: Nikon D70, Subal ND70, Nik 10.5mm, Nik 105mm, Nik 60mm, Tok 10-17, Subtronic Alpha Pro, Sea&Sea YS-110

#6 jcfig

jcfig

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

I took these with the 770SW during a recent trip to Roatan. We were looking for Whale Sharks (didn't find any ;) ) and we ran into a pod of dolphins. Instead of grabbing my big rig right away, I just jumped in with this little camera and got some shots of them. Later on my buddy took one of me and the big camera too. I have to say i totally love this little camera, is great for everyday snapshots and perfect for boat, snorkeling, hiking, etc. It is so tough I have no reservations letting my three year old play with it ;)

FYI - shots have been color corrected and two of them are crops, but no major editing. Also, there was a lot of krill in the water.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Just returned from a trip to Galapagos. My wife did a shallow dive to a maximum of 28 feet with the 770 - it leaked into the battery / card compartment and stopped working during the dive. Very disappointed.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 jcfig

jcfig

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

Just returned from a trip to Galapagos. My wife did a shallow dive to a maximum of 28 feet with the 770 - it leaked into the battery / card compartment and stopped working during the dive. Very disappointed.

Oh No! Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing too, I don't think I've taken mine past 20 feet or so. Good to know ;)

#9 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

As I said, I wouldn't take it diving, or even snorkeling past 10 feet or so. Also, remember that they suggest a maximum time of water exposure, 30 minutes, I read this in the manual somewhere. I think that this camera really shines for top-side boat use and very casual snorkeling (5 - 10 minutes). If you want to take it diving, Olympus makes a housing for it.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#10 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

The camera flooded within 5 minutes; never got off one shot. This was essentially a snorkelling depth dive for the most part to play with seals. I have dived and snorkelled with it before up to 15 feet, no problem. I think Olympus should not advertise this as being useable to 33ft without a housing, if it is'nt.

As I said, I wouldn't take it diving, or even snorkeling past 10 feet or so. Also, remember that they suggest a maximum time of water exposure, 30 minutes, I read this in the manual somewhere. I think that this camera really shines for top-side boat use and very casual snorkeling (5 - 10 minutes). If you want to take it diving, Olympus makes a housing for it.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.