• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

Can anyone out there let me know what the copyright rules regarding use of web text are?

I have an operator who is using all my exact web text on their website. The text was initially given to promote trips and destinations while my company had a relationship with the operator. Even prior to the relationship ending the operator had removed all information regarding my company from their website.

I have contacted the operator and gave them 10 days to remove all web text that came from my website. I am now keen to hear what legal steps I can take regarding this!

#2 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hi Graham,

Text is treated the same as photos. If the site is hosted on a server in the US (and in many cases internationally) you can send a DMCA compliant cease and desist letter to the hosting company and they will either get the text removed or shut the site down. I often do this when people who steal any kind of content start giving me a hard time. This is how I shut down Cyber Diver so many times.

I've had some hosting companys get pissy with how the cease and desist was worded and they refused to remove content until my letter was DMCA compliant, but in most cases it only takes a polite but stern email to the hosting company, cc the website owner to get the content removed.

Things get a little more sticky if the site is hosted in a country like China or Taiwan, but it usually works. You can learn more about the DMCA at http://www.chillinge...dmca512/faq.cgi

If you need to find out who the hosting company is, go to whois.sc and type in the domain name.

Good luck!

Bonnie