• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

Why don't you e-mail ScubaPro's tech department. I had a Smart Tec that started to occasionally not give me a psi reading while on a month long dive trip. ScubaPro walked me through the problem and FedExed me overnight a new battery for the tank unit when I stopped in Hawaii. The Galileo and Smart Tec share the same transmitter, I now have a Galileo and keep the Smart Tec as a backup.

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#42 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

Oh crap I hope its not the sensor.......

Doesn't sound like it would be the battery. If the battery was too low, it would not transmit any signal. I can not imagine it would transmit an incorrect tank pressure. IMHO, either a faulty tank transmitter or a faulty dive computer.

Last year, I did have a problem with the tank transmission to my Sol. I tried 2 different tank transmitters to prove the problem was in the computer not the tank transmitter. Would only pick up the tank signal if the computer was almost touching the tank transmitter. I spent a few dives in Yap putting my hand behind my head every few minutes to get a tank pressure reading - must have looked a bit weird...

Uwatec just swapped the Sol for a new one. No hassles, just had to use an SPG for a couple of weeks. Uwatec said it was a cracked antenna inside the computer, an issue that might occur with some of the first batch they made.

Regards
Peter

#43 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

Cheers guys I'll keep you all posted.

#44 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:27 AM

I just got one of these and I have to say I really like it. I don't normally like complicated/sophisticated dive gear, but what I like about this computer is that it is so easy to use. Plus the weight saving of not having a contents gauge.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#45 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:45 AM

I just got one of these and I have to say I really like it. I don't normally like complicated/sophisticated dive gear, but what I like about this computer is that it is so easy to use. Plus the weight saving of not having a contents gauge.

Alex

After 18 months of extensive use, I am still very happy with my Galileo Sol. Wouldn't like to dive without it. The key feature for me has been that you can see all the necessary data at one glance, without even taking your hand off the camera controls.

For example, yesterday I was videoing a large jellyfish with its attendant school of small fish. It was moving up and down through the water column, around 5 meters deep. I was at the end of a long dive, my tank pressure was quite low and I needed to stay within a depth band of 3 to 6 meters to complete my safety stop. But I wanted to video the jellyfish. With the Galileo Sol I was able to keep shooting, with both hands on the video housing, while watching remaining tank pressure, depth and time left to complete the safety stop. Not many other computers would have allowed me to do that...

Regards
Peter

#46 HuskyFan

HuskyFan

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

After 18 months of extensive use, I am still very happy with my Galileo Sol. Wouldn't like to dive without it. The key feature for me has been that you can see all the necessary data at one glance, without even taking your hand off the camera controls.
<snip>
Regards
Peter

I've got the non-air integrated version - the Terra. I've had it since June, and 80 dives later: I LOVE it. The big display, the digital compass, combined with the fact it has REAL BUTTONS rather than the electrical contacts of the previous Uwatec's all make it a great upgrade.

Great computer, highly recommended.

Robert

#47 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

I too am very please with the Galileo Sol after 18 months. During the first week of diving with it I experienced some erratic pressure readings. E-mailed ScubaPro and they sent me a new battery for the sending unit. After changing the battery the unit has worked flawlessly ever since. The push buttons are great and a big improvement from the contact terminals on the preceding Smart series. Also really like the feature where I know my buddy's PSI and of course the compass that works at any angle.

Elmer

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#48 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

I still haven't got my transmitter fixed yet as I've been too busy....maybe next month!
Currently I have about 300 dives on the computer over the past 15 months. My battery indicator has gone down by 1 bar in that time.

Edited by PIG004, 08 December 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#49 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hi!

Good news to all Uwatec Galileo users: The next release of TravelTrakCE (Windows mobile based version) is on the way. It will be available in early January and support all Galileo models.

I use my Galileo since February 2007 under various (even extreme) conditions. I love it because it is absolutely great for photographers. Especially when you switch to the large display mode. Just the really important information but in large, friendly letters.

Helge ;-)=)
Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...

#50 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:31 AM

Guys the battery has finally finished 326 dives or 326 hours later. I'm a bit dissappointed as I expected 500 dives at least from it. I guess it was used as the display model in the shop with everyone playing around with it as it had about 180 hours 'ontime' when I recieved it.

Otherwise I still like it and like you say its great for photographers.

Edited by PIG004, 06 February 2009 - 07:02 AM.

#51 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Ha!

People ask me about my Galileo Sol. I tell them that I could never justify the price, but that it is the best dive computer I have ever had. Maybe the best piece of dive gear I've ever owned.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#52 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

Ha!

People ask me about my Galileo Sol. I tell them that I could never justify the price, but that it is the best dive computer I have ever had. Maybe the best piece of dive gear I've ever owned.

"best piece of dive gear I've ever owned" - I think that you just did justify the price... :-)

For me, it is easy. Anything that helps you dive more safely, is worth the price. The Sol, with its "all important data in one place and clearly readable" design definitely makes a dive safer, especially if you are already task-loaded.

Regards
Peter

#53 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

Very true peterbkk but especially for me as I regularly dive solo and the alarms are very useful for me.

#54 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:29 AM

I agree it is the best dive computer I have had it mixes high performance, flexibility with ease of use.

Although I wish I knew more about modifying more of the alarms. Especially when it beeps continuously if you reach tank reserve at depth. There is no way to shut it up once it starts beeping - it bleats all the way through your ascent until you reach safety stop level - which to me encourages you to ascend faster to shut it up - not necessarily a good thing. There needs to be a "Yes I know, shut up!" button.

I also had a strange problem with mine in on just one Cayman at Sunset House. I tend not to wear the heart monitor, but on one dive I started getting high heart rate warnings. I was diving with another Galileo user and he was wearing a heart monitor, but we weren't that close together (and his heart rate was low). On the same dive it also lost the Tank Pressure signal a couple of times, which was strange. The submarine was close by and I was wondering if the interference was coming from that (although I have seen the sub many times with the Galileo and not had the problem). I was also shooting with Inons, rather than Subtronics which I have used for most of my dives with the computer - although I have never had any problems on my other dives with Inons.

After the dives I gave it a long soak in fresh water (the only thing I could think of doing) and it has performed faultlessly from then on.

It wasn't a big issue and I shot this image on that dive:
Posted Image

:D

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#55 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:10 AM

I did a cave dive with the heart-rate monitor in the pocket of my BC (by accident). It seemed to give fairly sensible readings. I checked this with Sergio Angelini at Uwatec (now gone) and he told me that if you don't wear the monitor the Galileo will pick up background radio signals and not display the correct info - so always wear it!

A typical e-mail exchange with Sergio:

I am sure the first thing you did was to turn it on, wear the polar
belt, and make sure you still had a heart!
sergio

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2008 12:10
To: Angelini, Sergio; Shears, Andy
Subject: Thank you!

Gentlemen.
Today I received what appears to be a brand new shiny Galileo Sol.
I will make sure it appears in lots of pictures!
Thanks very much.
I'd be lost without it.
John Bantin

Edited by John Bantin, 07 February 2009 - 05:15 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#56 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:28 AM

I did a cave dive with the heart-rate monitor in the pocket of my BC (by accident). It seemed to give fairly sensible readings. I checked this with Sergio Angelini at Uwatec (now gone) and he told me that if you don't wear the monitor the Galileo will pick up background radio signals and not display the correct info - so always wear it!

I nearly always wear the monitor. You get used to all the strange looks from others on the dive deck...

And, as I mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, it gives you a useful indicator in the dive log of when the exciting bits of the dive happened. A strong current, bunch of sharks, etc, will put the heart rate up a bit.

Did you mean that Sergio has left Uwatec? That's a shame. He was a very approachable CEO, answered every email and became personally involved in helping clients. Where did he go?

Regards
Peter

#57 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

Did you mean that Sergio has left Uwatec? That's a shame. He was a very approachable CEO, answered every email and became personally involved in helping clients. Where did he go?

Regards
Peter

I'm not sure. Maybe Eumis

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#58 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

<snip>
I was also shooting with Inons, rather than Subtronics which I have used for most of my dives with the computer - although I have never had any problems on my other dives with Inons.

After the dives I gave it a long soak in fresh water (the only thing I could think of doing) and it has performed faultlessly from then on.
,snip.

Alex

I am still using the old tank connected consol and loose “hockey puck” computers. The last time I visited the wireless computers (long ago) there was a short info. interrupt problem with ikelite strobes and some of this type of computers. I take it that there are no such problems with the G Sol and Inon 240’s???

R/Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#59 hbaalen

hbaalen

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:39 AM

Don't want to discourage you but I found that the "maps" feature of my Sol to be the least useful and stopped using it. Firstly the resolution means that you are limited to very large thick lines and large shapes. Anything fine, small or complex gets lost in the resolution. I tried doing a simple map of one of the wreck sites that I dive often. I drew it in a simple drawing package and uploaded to the Sol. I tried several versions. If I made it big and simple, it was not useful underwater. If I made it detailed and complex, the detail was lost in the resolution.

On the other hand, I have found the ability to load text messages very useful. I have programmed about 15 simple messages, a few related to diving (e.g. let's turn around and go back) but most related to video shooting with a model.

Some examples are:

"Stop, wait here 15 seconds, then follow me",
"Swim over my head",
"Look at this thing that I am pointing at",
"Please don't smile or wave at the camera".

I use these to give instructions to people who volunteer to model for my underwater videos. Works well. Just scroll to the message and show it to them. Beats waving your arms around like a crazy man... ;)

But, please let us know if you do have a successful experience with drawing maps for the Sol.

Regards
Peter

Do you now the resolution of the screen?
Regards,

Hans

#60 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

400 dives now on the computer. I changed the battery in the transmitter but it still won't show more than 100 bar on a full tank so I guess the transducer is outa span.
I have noticed the padding on the underside of the computer has begun to wear away down to the plastic. This is quite a surprise as I only wear a rash guard whish I didn't think was too abrasive.

As for the heart monitor I quit using that after 20 dives or so, I really couldn't see the point of its use although it was interesting to note that my heart rate fell consistantly throughout the dives usually starting around 84 bpm and decreasing to 74 after about an hour. My resting rate is about 62 - 65 bpm.