• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:46 AM

My Aladin dive computer has finally given in after 15 years and I need to buy a new one. While I appreciate the benefits of diving conservatively, which I practice, I have tried Suunto stinger, but find that the dive table it uses is too conservative. By the time I do a second dive in the morning, it goes into decompression mode within 15-20 mins. On my old Aladin, it is much easier to keep within the NDL. A friend of mine who is using one of the newer aladin wrist watch computer also seems to be quite conservative. Does anyone know which dive computer on the market uses the same dive table as the old Aladin (chunky rectangular shaped grey one which can either be worn on the wrist or put in a console).

Would much appreciate any suggestions.

Jing

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:36 AM

My Aladin dive computer has finally given in after 15 years and I need to buy a new one. While I appreciate the benefits of diving conservatively, which I practice, I have tried Suunto stinger, but find that the dive table it uses is too conservative. By the time I do a second dive in the morning, it goes into decompression mode within 15-20 mins. On my old Aladin, it is much easier to keep within the NDL. A friend of mine who is using one of the newer aladin wrist watch computer also seems to be quite conservative. Does anyone know which dive computer on the market uses the same dive table as the old Aladin (chunky rectangular shaped grey one which can either be worn on the wrist or put in a console).

Would much appreciate any suggestions.

Jing

Uwatec Galileo Sol

The first 300 have been produced and they will be entering shops outside Europe soon.

http://www.divernet...... Galileo Sol ...

It's a data-base site so make take time to load.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

A friend of mine who is using one of the newer aladin wrist watch computer also seems to be quite conservative.

That's not true. The new Aladins use the exact same algorithm as the old ones. I bought an Aladin Prime (wrist) two months ago as my backup computer, and I dive with it side by side with my 10 years old Aladin; they both give me the same NDL.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Luiz. Will double check it again, maybe my friend tweaked the setting to a more conservative level herself.

#5 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

Yes, there are "microbubble" levels, from 0 to 5, 0 the most liberal. I always leave mine on 0, but if you change it to 1 the computer will start asking for deco stops and significantly reduce NDL on the second dive...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#6 paquito

paquito

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

Jing, To be a little more clear, if you are looking for an algorythm that tracks the way the older style Aladin Pro (grey style worn on wrist or in console) then there is no current Uwatec model that does this.

Uwatec came out with the Aladin Pro in the 80s which tracks the Buhlman ZH6 (6 compartment tissue group) and this was a more aggressive algorythm than the current ZH8 and ZH8 ADT algorythms are. Its easy to tell if you have one of these "first generation" Aladin Pro computers as there is a small circular cap on the top to one side with two holes in it. This is where the battery compartment is.
The "second generation" looks very simliar to this but without this cap. The other tell tale aspect is the number of wet-contacts on the front. The older first generation has two on the bottom row and one on the upper right, it also only holds 9 logged dives. The second generation has three contacts on the bottom and the single on the top right. Further, the 2nd gen allows you to check the battery percentage left, the old does not. There are other features not to go into here.

If you have the "second generation" model, as stated, this is the Buhlman ZH8 which tracks 8 compartments and is slightly more conservative than the 1st gen. but not as conservative as the Suunto models. The second generation of models came out in the 90's. If you get another of the newer Uwatec computers you will get one that includes the ZH8-ADT model that adapts to temperature. Any of the latest styles with Microbubble Suppression Algorythms are all ZH8 models but with the ability to make the model more conservative through user-adjustable MB levels - these are not Decompression stops but are instead Level Stops for further offgasing and conservation.

All do a great job but the first generation is definitely more aggressive than all the others. You usually find the 1st generations still being used by some of the "techie" crowd but they are a lot less common to see. First generations also were distributed by Uwatec, Parkway, and Buchat. I could give you more detail but I've bored everyone enough. Good luck and have fun diving!

#7 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

I concur - you will not find a computer on the market with tables as aggressive as the old Aladin. The commercial scallop divers where I live use the old Aladin and have tried all of the new units off an on but always go back to the old one. I know when I dive with them that I will be hammered on the third tank and usually end up with 30 mins of deco and they are out of the water!

Having said that they regard a trip to the chamber as an occupational hazard and to be expected once every couple of years.

About the only computer that gave even longer BT was the yellow AP Valves one that went with the Inspiration - that thing just didn't believe in deco at all.

You might try EBAY.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#8 paquito

paquito

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:34 AM

If you want that aggressive of a dive computer and you can pick up a 1st gen really cheaply, then it might be worth it to you. Not that it may become a door stop and be sure to dive with another computer for testing it out. Otherwise, based on the age of these (now 20+ yrs) you need to know that the pressure sensor inside can end up going bad (once it does, Uwatec can't help you). I have had four 1st gen.s in my time but its not a fun thing when you are really deep and one of your computers is reading 10-15m difference in depth than the other. The only reason most of the poeple who I know who are still using the 1st gen is not for how much more aggressive the algorythm is but because these computers (if working properly) were great at gauges and bottom timers and have been good to 330m. But alas, time has evolved and there are such fine features on new style computers now adays that I think you will be pleased enough with the bottom time of the 2nd gens and beyond.

Jing, I suspect you had a 2nd gen Aladin pro, just pick up a current Aladin and leave the MB level set at L0 and you will enjoy what you used to enjoy for your bottom time. Plus you will get Nitrox programmability now. :)

#9 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

Many thanks for the advice. Mine is a first generation one by your description, and also by the fact that I have been using it since the late 80s. Just picked up an Aladin, will try it on my next trip - hope it gives me more bottom time than the Suunto which is really a little too conservative for my liking.

JIng