100 replies to this topic

#61 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, Formula 1

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

I am not surprised. A quick online check shows that the Ricoh sells for about US$100 cheaper than the replacement 1G camera. You can buy a replacement 1G but not just the housing.

I suppose it kinda makes sense from their standpoint....If your housing fails/breaks outright, your camera is probably going to be busted too...replace the whole set. The next worst thing is if you flood your housing...you can buy a replacement O Ring (About $16) and you can buy a replacement camera (1G or GX100).

What I am interested is in the difference in firmware. Antacid has V1.14 and updated to V1.16 on the Ricoh....hkfrankie has V5.16 on the 1G.

I wonder if Sea & Sea have made changes to the firmware. If so, I hope they follow any major updates that Ricoh makes as well as the camera is obviously in need of some bugfixes... Also, perhaps it will be possible to use Ricohs firmware to fix the 1G's problems?

From my understanding, the 1G has some "underwater modes" which savy photographers would probably not use. Does the Ricoh have these? Is this the only difference in the firmware? Perhaps it is possible to try either firmware to test what is better.

Samplin, if you do get the DX-1G set, please enlighten us by trying both cameras underwater and also any information as to function/picture quality difference.

Thanks! I have ordered a set (DX-1G & YS110 strobe) from Sea & Sea in Singapore anyway together with a WA lens. having it sent to Malaysia where I will pick it up for use on my trip to Sipadan in early October. Can't wait to try my hand at underwater photography...

#62 hkfrankie

hkfrankie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

i think firmware of DX-1g 5.16 is same with ricoh 1.16, only one difference is the SS mode,

so i think the dark screen problem also found at gx-100

#63 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

i think firmware of DX-1g 5.16 is same with ricoh 1.16, only one difference is the SS mode,

so i think the dark screen problem also found at gx-100

i noticed something interesting about the "dark-screen" problem for the GX100

yes, it appears on the GX100 as well, but with an interesting twist.

I first tried it on Aperture priority, with spot-metering. pointed to a bright area, and the screen darkened. pointed at dark area, screen brightened. all normal.

On Manual mode, if you started out with the metering point on a dark area, the screen does not darken even though you change aperture or shutter settings. but when you move it to a bright area, the screen darkens automatically and does not go bright again when you move it over a dark area.

do try it out and see if you find the same thing as i.

my guess is that it's a firmware problem and can be easily fixed once ricoh gets round to hearing about it.

thanks for the replies on the housing.

well it looks like i screwed myself by jumping the gun and getting the GX100. :)

another year of diving without a camera...*sigh*
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."

#64 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mt. Biking

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:20 PM

Samplin, if you do get the DX-1G set, please enlighten us by trying both cameras underwater and also any information as to function/picture quality difference.

I was told that the combo should be at my dealer tomorrow. But it might be a while till I get it underwater (Dec. in Kona). Might take it in the pool before that.

Joe
Joe Samplin Peoria Arizona

My Smugmug

Canon S100. 2 YS-01 Fisheye FIX Housing

#65 Islandbound

Islandbound

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:34 AM

If I get a chance tomorrow I will swing on by a camera store and see if the camera/housing is available off the shelf here in Japan. My normal store is not a dealer (I believe) for the camera but I will check anyway.

#66 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:58 AM

Perhaps those who own the cameras and have done their online warranty (if any) should send an email to Ricoh or Sea & Sea to inform them of the problem. I doubt they troll around this forum to listen for bugs...

#67 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:09 AM

If I get a chance tomorrow I will swing on by a camera store and see if the camera/housing is available off the shelf here in Japan.

My sister lives in Tokyo, and I plan to ask her to pick up one for me if they are cheaper there. So pls let us know places & prices if you find good ones.

/O

#68 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

Seansea in Singapore has a short promotional deal for the DX1G and the YS110 strobe set with arm....price is about the same as the US B&H set but arm has no handle....just base connector Ultralight system. However, the special includes the additional WA lens for free!

I ordered one. First 20 get the lens! Worth over 300US$! Do me a favor and mention that you hear it from Kay online!

#69 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

You know, the G9 is looking better and better...

Early results are that they've eliminated the excess delay just for using an external strobe...

It probably focuses as well, (or as badly), as this.

Sigh.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#70 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

well, we will see.....I will post my lame amature pics with the settings to boot after I get to Sipadan...

#71 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

Seansea in Singapore has a short promotional deal for the DX1G and the YS110 strobe set with arm....price is about the same as the US B&H set but arm has no handle....just base connector Ultralight system. However, the special includes the additional WA lens for free!

I ordered one. First 20 get the lens! Worth over 300US$! Do me a favor and mention that you hear it from Kay online!

if i mention your name, would he sell me the housing only? :angry:
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."

#72 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

Well, I got my Camera/Housing Combo. Put every thing together. It is really a nice package.. I also go the the Ys-100 and the wide angle adapter.
I did notice that there is one more scene mode on the S&S camera that the Ricoh camera. It call SS mode and it looks like a MAGIC FILTER is put in place when you switch to that mode.. A nice feature when you are at safety stop on top of a wall. Turn off the strobe and shoot available light.

Macro should be this cameras best feature.. Will have to wait till December in Kona to really give it a try.
I also ordered the 2nd YS-100 and handle. The complete housing,camera/strobe/grip fit into my backpack with my computer.. Do not have to take my 40 lb Porter case any more.

The only thing that bothered me was if I tried to shoot rapidly. The screen would go completely dark and in a second the flash would fire and the exposure was made. Was told by S&S that was because the onboard strobe wasn't finished recycling, taking all the power away from the screen. I was told that there was going to be a retro fix for this by putting a small light generator on the hot shoe of the camera that would fire the YS-110 through the fiber optic connection.

It is sure fun playing with new toys.

Joe

Edited by samplin, 17 September 2007 - 11:03 AM.

My Smugmug

#73 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

Awesome....love the first take from you samplin!.....hope it goes well. Thanks for the tip on the extra mode and also on how it may best be used....more advice welcome folks....

#74 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

The only thing that bothered me was if I tried to shoot rapidly. The screen would go completely dark and in a second the flash would fire and the exposure was made. Was told by S&S that was because the onboard strobe wasn't finished recycling, taking all the power away from the screen. I was told that there was going to be a retro fix for this by putting a small light generator on the hot shoe of the camera that would fire the YS-110 through the fiber optic connection.

Oh that's a disappointment. If you look at the very first message in this thread, the speculation is that this LED-flash adapter would be delivered in the package. (or at least that was what i hoped for). So did they give any price/time estimate for this mini-flash?

/O

#75 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:45 AM

Oh that's a disappointment. If you look at the very first message in this thread, the speculation is that this LED-flash adapter would be delivered in the package. (or at least that was what i hoped for). So did they give any price/time estimate for this mini-flash?

/O

Was told by the S&S Support person that the Retro would be in January.. At an additional cost.. :)

Joe

My Smugmug

#76 vortexted

vortexted

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Well, I got my Camera/Housing Combo. Put every thing together. It is really a nice package.. I also go the the Ys-100 and the wide angle adapter.

Joe

Hi Joe,
I live in Arizona also. Where were you able to purchase this camera?

TY

#77 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

Hi Joe,
I live in Arizona also. Where were you able to purchase this camera?
TY

TY
My favorite dive shop SCUBA Specialities 42nd Ave and Bell Rd.
Phoenix

Joe

My Smugmug

#78 att

att

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

Has anybody already tried to use this camera underwater? I am a little bit worried by those rumors about the noisy sensor.

#79 pbriggs

pbriggs

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

I just purchased a DX-1G setup with a single YS-250Pro strobe. I've read a few postings that suggest the YS-250Pro doesn't work well with the DX-1G because there isn't a TTL connection, just a manual 12 step setting with a sync cord. However, the dive shop person I was working with called the Sea and Sea rep on his cell phone and the rep was quoted as saying he has a DX-1G with two YS-250Pro strobes and it works great. Has anyone else had a chance to try the setup out yet?

#80 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

ATT - The noisy sensor will NOT be the problem. Just shoot at low ISO, and it will not be an issue. Everyone uses an external strobe anyway.

The issue with this cam appear to be the LCD getting too dark to use to compose the shot, when used in manual mode, in dark conditions, where most of the light is strobe.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave