#1 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:04 AM

Hi all,

the time has come again ... my second suunto mosquito broke ... he did some more dives then the first one, but after 1300 or something he died. i really liked the mosquito ... good price and specially user replaceable battery: very useful in remote location.

now i am looking at the D6 and wonder how long the battery lasts ... on my mosquitos i had to change it like 2-3 times a year with an average of 2-3 dives a day.

anyone experience with the D6? is the battery life as bad or a bit better? i dont want to buy a computer, where i cannot change batteries if i have to travel to the capital 3 times a year ...

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
http://nadlembehresort.wordpress.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:20 AM

Hi all,

the time has come again ... my second suunto mosquito broke ... he did some more dives then the first one, but after 1300 or something he died. i really liked the mosquito ... good price and specially user replaceable battery: very useful in remote location.

now i am looking at the D6 and wonder how long the battery lasts ... on my mosquitos i had to change it like 2-3 times a year with an average of 2-3 dives a day.

anyone experience with the D6? is the battery life as bad or a bit better? i dont want to buy a computer, where i cannot change batteries if i have to travel to the capital 3 times a year ...

You cannot change the battery of the D6/D9 yourself. Why not get a computer (Vyper2, Vytec DS) that you can change the batteries on?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:53 AM

hi john,

because i want to wear it as a watch ... anything not attached to my wrist ... i will forget it on every second dive. thats why. so eather another mosquito or the D6 ...

thats why i would like to know about the battetry life ...

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

hi john,

because i want to wear it as a watch ... anything not attached to my wrist ... i will forget it on every second dive. thats why. so eather another mosquito or the D6 ...

thats why i would like to know about the battetry life ...

Well I have had a D6 on my wrist more or less since the day Suunto UK got its first samples. (I think it was Jan 2006). I also have a D9 that has been with me exactly the same length of time. They both say "Battery OK" when I turn them to Dive Mode. Does that help?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

hmm ... sounds not too bad. but it also depends on how often you dive it ...

lets see. we have the D6 here in the diveshop on the island ... i can get it for 580$ ... seems like a OK price to me. but on the other side it is almost 2 mosquitos.

anyone knows how long the mosquito batteries still will be produced? because i heard they want to take the mosquito out of the market ...

so maybe just buy a mosquito with 10 batteries ...

but john ... one question: one reason, that made me think of the D6 was the Gas switch ... not because of techie stuff, but because of the fact, that the mosquito sets back to 21% when desaturating or sometimes you just forget to set back from 21% to 32% ... and under water you're out of NDL. how bout the D6 ... can you quickly set him to 32% under water? somebody told me, that you have to define the gasses you will be using before the dive ... that would make this whole gas switch feature very useless ...

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam