#1 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:10 PM

G'day.

Thought I'd tell you a bit about myself.

My name is Andrew, but most people call me ATJ.

I learned SCUBA in late 1978 (while studying Marine Biology)
Got my first UW camera (and first camera, BTW) in early 1980 - Nikonos III
Had various SLRs over the years but none of them housed
Went digital in 2003 with a Nikon Coolpix 4500 in Ikelite housing with Ikelite DS50
Bought a Nikon D70 in early 2005
Bought a Ikelite housing for the D70 in May 2006 along with a Ikelite DS125 (which I used in conjunction with the DS50)
Bought a second DS125 in April 2007.

I now mostly use either my 60mm f/2.8D or the cheap 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II which gives me good results.

A link to my dive log (with photos) is my signature.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

welcome ATJ

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

Welcome ATJ. I had a good time flipping through a lot of your images. Interesting to see you get the depth info with each image. Are you cross-referencing the time stamp of the image with the time stamp of your divecomputer log?

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#4 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

Are you cross-referencing the time stamp of the image with the time stamp of your divecomputer log?

Bart,

That's pretty much it.

I have a Citizen Hyper Aqualand dive watch which logs each dive (entry time, surface time, average depth, etc.) and it also records the depth every 5 seconds. I mount the watch on my camera rig so it is recording the depth of the camera.

Before each (well most if I'm doing multiple dives in a day) dive, I take a photograph of the watch which allows me to determine the difference between the times on the watch and the camera. For each photograph, from the time recorded in the EXIF data I determine how far into the dive the photograph was taken and then look up the depth for that time.

I have automated the whole process so it is just a matter of adding the time on the watch in the photograph and the time the photograph of the watch was taken into my dive log (home grown program) and then load the data from the dive. For each photograph I just type in the time it was taken and the program tells me the depth.

#5 dongah

dongah

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:41 AM

Also from Astralya - Dongah is my name and diving and takin film is my game :)

#6 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

Welcome Dongah - not much film around here.

#7 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

Welcome Dongah and ATJ - good to have a few more Aussies kickin around the place.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#8 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

I have automated the whole process so it is just a matter of adding the time on the watch in the photograph and the time the photograph of the watch was taken into my dive log (home grown program) and then load the data from the dive. For each photograph I just type in the time it was taken and the program tells me the depth.

That was my plan as well. I've been taking start-of-dive shots for my last trip but haven't yet found the time to write a Python program to automate the depth-calculation for each image. How specific is your code for the aqualand? I'm using the sensus ultra dive logger from ReefNet and can get a time/depth/temp text table out quite easily but need to extract time from the EXIF header and write the estimated depth info back into the EXIF header or an external database.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#9 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

How specific is your code for the aqualand?

The specificity to Lotus Notes is probably more of an issue. I use a Lotus Notes database for my dive logs and use Lotus Script and formulae to do all the automation, including generating the html pages.

The Aqualand format is pretty straightforward:

M,2007,6,24,1,10,10,20,10,31,5,0,0,62,154,32,17

The header row gives the basics of the dive and then there is a list of depths (in 10ths of a metre), one for every 5 seconds of the dive. I simply load this data into a multi value field in the dive log document and reference that for each photograph.

I'm using the sensus ultra dive logger from ReefNet and can get a time/depth/temp text table out quite easily but need to extract time from the EXIF header and write the estimated depth info back into the EXIF header or an external database.

I haven't gone to the trouble of extracting the data from EXIF. As it is, I have to manually add the Image Title to the EXIF which includes the subject, location, depth and original filename, so it is just as easy for me to type the time into a popup on the dive log and have it tell me the time. I had thought of putting in further automation but realised it would not save me anything.

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

Crikey..

Just seen this thread and its like an Ex-cons reunion meeting... :) :)

Well except for Mike, but hes still on the run..Or so I hear :D

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk