• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gwangi

Gwangi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 08:48 PM

I love my RS, I know its heavy but the image quality is very good.

I want to know if there is anyone out there know what it take to produce a digital back for the RS.

I know all this is just a crazy idea... but do you think if there is any buyer if there is one avaliable?

Gwangi

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 07:17 PM

I actually proposed this idea on line. But it would be more likely that someone might make a digital back for the Subeye camera. You have to take the back off of that camera to reload it so it would be easy to make one. Also it uses RS and all Nikon autofocus lenses. Finally it's not tied to a major manufacturer so someone else might be more inclinded to bulid a digital back for it. I believe it is still in production. It should be compatible with the DX lenses.

Considering the number on the market; a digital back for the Nikonos V might be a big seller also.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 09:10 PM

If I understand correctly, digital backs don't write to storage media in the camera/back - they usually are tethered to a computer and write directly to the computers hard-disk.

I suppose you could use a really long lead to the dive boat? Kind of like surface supplied air diving, but only for 0's and 1's instead...:-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 02:40 AM

Not 100% true James - check out the Sinar housed on UK-Germay's website. It writes to a drive housed under the camera. I agree, though, that this couldn't work on an amphibious system.

Why would you want to put modern circuitry into 20yr old camera bodies anyway? It's likely that if anyone pursued this technology you'd wind up with a back that cost as much as a housed dSLR. It would be ready in about 2yrs - along with FF sub $2000 dSLRs.

It will become increasingly difficult to get support for these systems as time goes by - why invest R&D in the line that Nikon discontinued?

Come on Nikonos guys - let it go.... :P
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 10:57 AM

You go girl!

Cheers