5 replies to this topic

#1 paulwhng

paulwhng

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:51 AM

Does anyone know whether the Nikonos RS O rings are made from:

Silicone - which requires that Floro-slicone grease (e.g. blue capped silicone from Sea & Sea or Molykote FS1292); OR

Non silicone or Black Nitrile (NBR) - which requires regular silicone grease like Molykote 111 OR petroluem gel

My thinking is that it is probably Silicone O rings (as it is Orange in colour as the old non silicone O rings used to be black). But I have since got confused because in Jim Church's book on the Nikonos system he explicitly said that no grease with silicone should be used on the Nikonos V or RS's O rings. As far as I am aware, if the O ring is silicone both Floro-silicone or regular silicone should work.

Can someone help clarify?

Thanks
Paul NG

#2 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

If the o-ring is silicone just use spit as the lubricant. Grease is not required. Over time grease will be absorbed into the o-ring, causing it to swell & elongate. Or change it to Buna compound & use generic silicone grease.

Edited by jcclink, 05 July 2007 - 04:28 PM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

I thought that the o-rings were just standard one - just coloured orange to make the bits visible on them. I always used standard Nikonos O ring grease on them.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 conger

conger

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:05 AM

I thought that the o-rings were just standard one - just coloured orange to make the bits visible on them. I always used standard Nikonos O ring grease on them.

Alex

My wife and I used RS's for a number of years -- from inception (I believe early 90's) until 2000. The orange O-rings were different from the Nikonos V orings and required a different grease, unfortunately I cannot remember the type. I do remember that if you used Nikonos V grease on the orange o-rings, the o-rings swelled and flooding was possible. I know that there was someone who made traditional black o-rings (Nikonos V) style for the RS. We did make the change, and then could use the Nikonos V grease. If my memory is correct I believe they came from Harold at Seacam in Germany and we may have used Stephen Frink to secure them. I don't know if they are still available, but these o-rings were easier to maintain, and they seemed to seal with less risk of slipping their channel then the orange o-rings. We had hundreds of dives with the RS and never a flood, but we fussed with the o-rings much more then we ever have with our housed cameras.

#5 kitty

kitty

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

I would check with Southern Nikonos
www.southern-nikonos.com
(713) 462-5436
Email nikonosrepair@aol.com

#6 uv2021

uv2021

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

On the Nikonos 5 system the orange o rings were for storage.The black for diving.Don't know about the RS though.