Photo
- - - - -

Any opinions on Sea & Sea strobes for the Nikon D200?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ViperDoc

ViperDoc

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photography, Flying, Model Aircraft, History

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:14 AM

Hey guys,

I've been researching and I'm trying to decide on strobes. Ive decided on a Subal ND20 housing for my D200. My problem now is that I need to be able to throw some light. Cost is beginning to become an issue. Because of that I'm thinking of starting out with just one strobe and possibly just an inexpensive focus light. I will be shooting both WA with a 10.5 and macro with a 60. I would love to find a light that can do both at least for now while I work on my photo skills. The S&S lights (the 110 and maybe the 90) look pretty good and also fairly compact which is the other concern with lots of travelling along with being relatively on the lower end of price. I've been reading Martin Edge's book and he seems to showcase them fairly prominenetly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

#2 Johnny Christensen

Johnny Christensen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

I've been using Sea & Sea strobes for 13 years now and are very happy. They are relatively compact and have all the light I need.
Shooting 4 years in the caribien with high ambient light level in the shallows did not present any problem for them. Going deeper and thereby loosing the ambient light, letting the strobelight become the primary lightsource, does just fine as well.
The last 7 years using two YS-60N on manual to cover a fisheye lens.
Like you the D200 is now the camera of choice, using that setup in a Sealux housing, I can highly recomend their grand viewfinder, be shure to get that for your Subal.

Spend the bulk of money on highquality lenses and ports. Gives you better results than buying really expencive strobes.

Good luck

Edited by Johnny Christensen, 06 July 2007 - 08:56 AM.

http://www.johnnychristensen.com
Wreckphotography from the cold north

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6188 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

I used a pair of YS 120s for many years, probably 3 or 4 thousand dives on them.

Reliable strobes, i don't think you can go wrong with them..

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

We've used YS30s, YS120s, YS90DXs and YS110s. I dont think you can go wrong with Sea&sea, but at the same time..I dont think you can go wrong with the ikelites or the inons either.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#5 craig nelson

craig nelson

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:07 PM

I have used all 3 major brands

IMHO , Sea & Sea or INON,

Currently i'm using Inon Z-240, and was totally blown away by their compact size when i first opened the box, I'm very very happy with them.

I'm a Sea & Sea DX-200 user, and i also have the Associated ITTL converter from Sea & Sea running with my Z-240's. It all works perfectly.

When i'm looking for new items, SIZE matters, I travel with Photography and weight and package space is all important along with the items ability to get the job done.

regards

Craig
Nikon D200 - Sea & Sea DX-200 - Inon Z-240's
10-17mm 12-24mm 60mm 105mm

#6 tkr

tkr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

I quite like my Sea & Sea 110's. They are small and compact and I prefer the shape over the Inons. They put out a smooth even light. They do seem rather slow to recycle on full power though.