71 replies to this topic

#61 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

Congratulations to everyone!!! :guiness: ;) :ninja:
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#62 arava12

arava12

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:14 AM

Hi everyone,

I don't post often in the forum, but I read and learn a lot from it. I wanted to know your thoughts about the winning pictures of this years's Antibes Festival (for those who have been lucky enough to be here this year).
I was suprised by the jury's choice. It seemed to me that there were wonderfull, incredible pics (and some crappy one of course...) for the competition, and despite that huge choice, the winning pics are some "OK"ones, but not especially original, nor difficult to make, nor "never seen before" etc...
Here is my analysis. Before anything else, I have to tell you that I did not participate (I came back too late from a dive trip, unfortunatly) and I don't have anything against the winners. I am just trying to understand. Obviously, there is something I don't/can't see and I wanted to learn "it" from you.
here are my (humble) thoughts about the (colors) pics :
It seems to me at least that one price went to a pic that have been made, published and seen at least hundreds of time. The wide angle pic with blue water, great colors and all... OK, but not especially hard to do, nor original.
One price have been given to a macro shot of the yucatan shrimp, Periclimenes yucatanicus. it is a wonderfull little animal with wery subtle colors. But the winning pic is way too contrasty, over photoshoped in a obvious and wrong way, with false colors and all the wonderfull details "overpainted" with extreme contrast settings. In fact, when I was in front of the pic, trying to explain details to some friends, I told them "that is the exact wrong way to make a picture... It is allready seen, badly post processed, not well printed etc...you don't see the animal as it is in the sea !"
And the last price went to a butterfly fish shot, which is, at least to my eyes, very very common and shows nothing special.
It seems to me that I can see far better pictures here in the forum than these winning pics, and that there were somme incredible shots in competition that deserved far more consideration.
Well, as you can see, I really don't understand the jury's choices. :guiness:

As for the video section, I did not have the chance to view all the movies, but some winners really are wonderfull.

Anyway, I would really love to have your opinions about the pics, and even if I don't like them, Kudos to the winners for their job.

Thanks for reading

Anthony

#63 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:21 AM

Markus,

Way to go! You brought Antibbes to its knees!

Timbo

Maybe not next year but the year after I'll be REDdy to do it all again!

Saw your report from Ogasawara, beautiful stuff mate.

Cheers,
Mark

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#64 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:47 AM

It does look like Julie won a price. She's in the PDF, in the portfolio section, but I still have no idea what that price is for.

PRIX APNEA "Meilleure image d'apnée" (300 €)
à Julia Edwards [Pays-Bas]

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#65 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:12 AM

The Image was one of an Islander youth with eye goggles giving a thumbs up sign with hands tucked behind is knees.

I think the prize is aimed at Images which depict the act of Apnea or people taking part in such an act.

Cheers,
Mark.

#66 Andi Voeltz

Andi Voeltz

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Rollerblading, Swimming, Travel

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

I am curious to hear how the Marineland venue was? Was the consensus that it will be a one off location?
Was it a circus/jail or does it actually do good conservation and education work?

Hi Alex,

I actually did a write-up on my mixed feelings about the captivated Orcas:
http://www.digideep....lings-critique/

Amazing Animals, though.
find a housing for your digicam! oOo. http://www.digideep.com .oOo.
market overview of the essential equipment for digital uw photography

#67 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:21 AM

Andi, I share your feelings on the venue and the irony of holding such a festival there, and very much appreciated your write-up. It was a very strange and contradictory experience; and we can only hope that the organizers take these concerns to heart and not make the same mistake again next year. One good that came of it is the discussion of the issues that has ensued, and I hope this will continue.

Mary Lynn

#68 bella

bella

Wolf Eel

• Critter Expert
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:39 AM

The Image was one of an Islander youth with eye goggles giving a thumbs up sign with hands tucked behind is knees.

I think the prize is aimed at Images which depict the act of Apnea or people taking part in such an act.

Cheers,
Mark.

Thanks Mark!

Yay for me then. :guiness:
-julie edwards

#69 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

No worries Julie.

Just also wanted to give a big shout out to Patrick, Danny and Terri who were also present at the festival. Had great times working together in the past and look forward to many more reunions.

Cheers,
Mark.

#70 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

It does look like Julie won a price. She's in the PDF, in the portfolio section, but I still have no idea what that price is for.

PRIX APNEA "Meilleure image d'apnée" (300 €)
à Julia Edwards [Pays-Bas]

Cor

I hope that APNEA part is on tape, I try to search it ASAP...

Jules

#71 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:19 AM

I hope that APNEA part is on tape, I try to search it ASAP...

Jules

And voilá:
Moments from Antibes - Julie gets the Prix Apnea

Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm), 31 October 2007 - 10:19 AM.

#72 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

Great stuff mate,
When will the all singing and all dancing podcast be out?

Working on papers.

Cheers,
Mark.
P.S How was the drive home?