Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Correa lifts ban on sale of shark fins
Staff and agencies
20 July, 2007

QUITO, Ecuador - Ecuador‘s president overturned a ban on the sale of shark fins, which are popular in Asia, but stipulated they can only be sold if the sharks are caught by fishermen accidentally.

However, he did not say how authorities would determine if the shark had been caught accidentally or on purpose.

During the ban, the sale of shark fins was punishable by up to two years in prison.

Former Environment Minister Edgar Isch called it "a way to more easily evade any type of control" aimed at preserving species.

http://www.onelocaln...d...s&id=135262

So...while Galapagos National Park is banning dive boats, the President is lifting the ban on shark fin sales. If I were more cynical, I would say someone wants less dive boats observe finning boats in action :)
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#2 solenostomus

solenostomus

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

I found a similar article over on Discovery News:
http://dsc.discovery...w19-502-ak-0000
Truly terrible news...

July 24, 2007 — President Rafael Correa's decree legalizing the sale of shark fins caught by accidental fishing has put the Galapagos shark in peril of extinction, environmentalist groups warned Monday in Ecuador.

Prized as an aphrodisiac and gourmet delicacy in Asia, shark fins had been illegally harvested until Correa's decree, which he said will directly benefit 200,000 Ecuadoran fishermen and their families.

The presidential decree lifts a ban on the sale and export of shark fins caught accidentally outside Galapagos territorial waters. Deliberate fishing for shark fins is still prohibited.

..whole article is two pages ...

#3 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:38 AM

notice this trend.

ban dive boats from going out to Wolf and Darwin.
legalize "accidental" take of sharks.

AM I STUPID?
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage

#4 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

To this effect, am flying into quito mid august and am delivering a petition to
correa and the tourism ministry.
here's the letter, please email me to add your name. if you are willing to post a hard copy to me
then also request my address in the email.

if you have a professional title then please also put this next to your name.

thank you

mark (writepic@gmail.com)

Dear President Rafael Correa,

I am writing as one of many of a collective of concerned individuals over the future of many species of shark in Ecuadorean waters. We are calling on you from the international community, to reverse your decision to lift the ban on sales of shark fins in Ecuador.

The Galapagos Islands are one of the world’s most famous locations where large numbers of sharks can still be found. We believe that current fishing practices are endangering the future of the Galapagos and also of many shark species. Although the waters around the islands are protected, this area is relatively small compared to many sharks’ migratory behaviour. Increased fishing activity, even outside of the marine reserve will have a devastating effect on the Galapagos as a future tourist destination and also crucial world reserves of shark populations. Coastal waters also act as a breeding ground for sharks, many of which may come from Galapagos waters.

Ecuador is well placed to lead other Latin American countries forward as a role model for tourism. Tourism can provide substantially better incomes than other subsistence means of living, and a more secure future for Ecuadorean people. Further income from tourism also relieves the pressure on livelihoods of those staying in traditional employment as they have less competition for resources and can better manage their own futures. I implore you to make a decision that is right for all of Ecuador and replace this ban on shark fin commerce.

It was with great hope that I saw you come to power last year that you would lead this country from many years of political instability and corruption. For this reason, I was severely disappointed that you have taken this decision on such a vital issue, and hope that you can understand the importance of what is at stake. Your decision has endangered the whole ecosystem around Ecuadorean waters.

Sharks are vulnerable to any fishing pressure due to their slow growth rate, late sexual maturity and low numbers of young. They need full protection as of now. We ask you to make a decision in favour of sharks today.

Yours Sincerely,

The Undersigned.
[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#5 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:59 AM

Mark, count me in. singnature sent to you.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#6 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hmm...so the President of Edcuador is now showing his true colors...very sad.
http://www.iht.com/a...an-Expelled.php
www.bluespheremedia.com

#7 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hmm...so the President of Edcuador is now showing his true colors...very sad.
http://www.iht.com/a...an-Expelled.php

"The only thing he did was help police combat crime, because two tons (of fins) are not accidental fishing," she said.

Two tons of fins??? :ninja: good god!

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#8 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

And how does the president respond: he kicks this guy out of the country. One less whistle blower to worry about I suppose.
www.bluespheremedia.com

#9 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

Ok, the situation is downright chaotic in Ecuador. Now Sean has been freed and the deportation revoked!
http://www.seashephe...a_070804_3.html
www.bluespheremedia.com