7 replies to this topic

#1 bwdiver

bwdiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

Well,
After lingering in these forums for quite some time (great forum by the way), I have decided to upgrade to a new Gates housing for my Sony HDR-FX7. To say that I am an amateur would be an understatement, but my wife bought me the camera for my birthday so I figured what the heck.
My big hang up now are lights. I have read quite a few of the posts regarding lights but none of them seem to be specific to this housing.
I am trying to decide between the Niterider Pro 40 and Green Force 250 set ups. Does anyone have much experience with either of these and is there possibly someone that has already bought this housing and are using either of these lights. Joe at Marine Visions has been really helpful so far, but I wanted to get more than one persons opinion. It's a heck of a lot of money so I want to make sure I am going to be happy with it.

Also, if I get the Green Force 250 video lights, Joe has given me the choice of one large Pelican case or two smaller ones. In terms of travelling which would be better?

Any help would be great.

Billy W.

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

Big congrats on your wonderful present. Your wife must be saint, she could have bought herself a load of bikinis but she sacrificed them for your cam. ;-) And welcome to wetpixel, a great place to share and learn.
There is a huge difference between niteriders and Green Force, totally different classes. If you can afford them, the Green Force lights would be the way to go. Check with Cam Diver: he may be selling his if you wait a month. I wish I had them.
As for the cases, if I were to carry them on, then one case would be the way I'd go, however, you need to see what the dimensions of the case are. Again, Camdiver has been using them so he would be a good one to advise you.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

I have the Gates housing, diving with it for the 1st time in about 3 weeks. Right now it's at Gates getting the flip macro diopter installed. I already own a set of AUL halogen lights, so I comment on the Greenforce or Niteriders.

I believe Camdiver has the Greenforce lights. Hopefully he will chime in.

I don't know of anyone with the Niterider Pro 40 lights. It would be nice to read a review.

The 2 systems look very different. I think the Greenforce is more expensive but much more powerful. If I read the specs correctly, the Niteriders are 90 degree beams, 20 watts on each lamp, 6000k color temperature. The Greenforce are 120 degree beams, 50 watts on each lamp, 3800k color temperature and $1000 more.

#4 bwdiver

bwdiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:45 AM

I believe I am going to go with the Green Force lights, but of course, I have another question.

I want to be able to do macro stuff also. Is there a way to diffuse/soften the light beams so they would work for macro also or do I not need to worry about that?

Thanks for everyones comments so far. It's amazing that I have been able to answer most of my questions just by browsing through the posts on this site.

Billy W.

#5 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

Those Greenforce 50 watt lights are powerful, but not having used them I can't say how difficult or easy it is to cut down on the light for macro.

A few things you can do regardless of which lights you have:

Use the ND filter. Nice thing about the Gates is you have access to ND filters 1 & 2

Move the lights further away from the subject. If you have good light arms, the lights can be either
on top of the subject or 12-18 inches away.

Manually dial the exposure down.

Use only 1 lamp

Buy an external diffuser cap. Once you get the diameter of the lamp, I am sure you'll be able to find
a diffuser that fits. Topside photogs use them all the time.

#6 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

I would be enclined to have one of each.

Camdiver reported that he thought the squid 250 were a bit of an overkill for fine macro but unbeatable for the medium to close general stuff and the fine light from the nitriders for little macro stuff.

Edited by pmooney, 27 July 2007 - 02:55 PM.

#7 bwdiver

bwdiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:18 AM

Well, although budget isnt a major constraint. I definitely can't see me buying two sets of video lights.
I am going to see if I can find a place to make me some diffusers.
I am pretty sure I am going to go with one of these also Gates Tripod

That way I wont have to pass out dramamine to all my friends.

Thanks for everyones help!

#8 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

Question for those who use a tripod.

Do you carry extra weight to weigh down the tripod ?

I imagine you want the housing neutral when not using the tripod and very negative with the tripod. I'm thinking 10lbs neg would be nice and steady, but 5lbs is a lot easier to carry.