Sony PMW-EX1 (aka XDCAM EX) Official Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
197 replies to this topic

#181 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Nice film made with EX1 in 48 hours, no lights. (not uw!)

#182 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

Apparently most cams suffer from this prob including V1, Z1, A1 etc... even the holy grail RED.

Steady there Dean. The Z1 is CCD and does not have the same skewing effect as the CMOS sensors. VFX guys like the Red image and while there is some skew it's much better than anything else out there.
One has to be very careful about not over reacting to what is essential special shooting circumstances. How many underwater shooters can whip pan fast enough to get skewing, especially on wide shots? I would be worried about RS effect with strobes but skewing is probably not going to affect 99% of users. Only VFX guys would worry about that. It's always good to know about any issues though.
Sony has quietly fixed all existing EX1 sets in boxes and the vignetting problem should be gone now. There might be a few bad sets out there. Unfortunately there's no 'blue dot' for Sony. :D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#183 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Whoops sorry....Forgot about that...Got carried away there :D

Yeah...whip panning...who does that anyway... :D

Dive safe

Dean(slow pan)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#184 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

Nice film made with EX1 in 48 hours, no lights. (not uw!)

Arrrggghhh. They made a film with an EX1 and posted it on YouTube? Sacrilege!!

Cheers, Simon

#185 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

Eh ????? why ????

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#186 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:57 AM

Because you could make a film on hi8 and post it on YouTube and it would look the same!!! :D

#187 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

you could shoot it on a mobile phone and it would look the same!! :D

You tube is bloody awful!

Go DivX..

J

Edited by jonny shaw, 10 January 2008 - 12:57 PM.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#188 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:17 AM

Seatool has begun producing an PMW-EX1 with an early April ship date. The housing has electronic controls of zoom, focus, & record. Other key camera controls are handled mechanically.

Initially, the housing will ship with a Coated Glass Flat Port. Extension rings and a 170mm Glass Dome Port are available to accommodate the Century Optics Conversion Lenses.

The viewfinder is angled up at 45 degrees for better handling.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#189 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:50 AM

Ryan how can they have electronic controls of zoom, focus, & record as the EX1 does not come with a Lanc control.

It only has a remote lens control input which will give you zoom and record only.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#190 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:12 AM

I heard the input in the lens is an infrared gizmo and was going to be able to access more controls than LANC but I could be wrong (always a first time)...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#191 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

Well I've put the Z7 on hold... Reading up on things it looks as though I will go for the HD format rather than HDV...Although the Z7 footage looks great its still HDV and broadcasters still think this is Dark Magic and are turning their noses up at it, o.k not everywhere but all the places i'm looking at :)
also I'm going to be filming more underwater than I thought this year so the extra nudge is now needed in the HD format to get that beautiful 1920x 1080 quality.

Housings...Amphibico are still looking at the EX1 but seem more smitten to the Z7 but they said there would be one lens chosen by them and thats that... theres still a prob with the lack of LANC apparently the EX1 lens 8 pin plug in is just for zoom and record and on / off...Gates will be better for the EX1 although when fully kitted more expensive but hey you canny have it all...and there is still Sealux..

The changeable lens thing on the Z7 was a massive sweetner for me but its going to be expensive to buy an array of lenses and as mentioned you can always get an adapter for the EX1 and third party lens manufacturers are making x1.7 and x2 convertors so that should be pretty good strapped on the front of the 20x fujinon...

But then again you only live once so i could buy both and see what housings come out later !!!!..right wheres my bank managers number.. :) still waiting on scarlet...

Dive safe

Dean(rambling on)B
Facebook me ;)

#192 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:48 AM

Since when did the broadcast companies accept XDCAM EX as main content? I haven't heard of this yet.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#193 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

Christ are they ????? Thats lucky seeing as I (maybe) getting an EX1...when was this said Drew...Because I definately never said that !!...But how exciting... ;)

You live, you learn...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#194 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

An EX1 and its wide angle lens is in my room. I got it for testing for this weekend - btw, I will go with the setup to Sealux to help them designing the housing for it...

Other: Has anyone info whether Amphibico will do a housing for it? Since I have now a nice gift certificate :-)

And, yes, what will be the Scarlet????

#195 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hi Gyula

Hope you and the family are well... Thanks again for the hospitality.. ;)

Sounds good with Sealux... Make sure it covers all controls (well as much as poss) and 2 or 3 flip arms filters & diopters...

Amphibico are still looking into it..last I heard anyway..Its the lack of LANC thats the problem...They seem more interested in the Z7 now..

Scarlet will NOT be Red !!! apparently its a pocket sized cam (maybe A1 sized or smaller) ... but will defo not be as good as RED...that was my interpretation from the main man... probably 2k or 1080P res...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#196 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, Moscow... I got an awful throat-infection - maybe the siberian chicken in the buffet? ;) so I was in bed until today noon...

Scarlet: if it would be a small, 1080p, 4:2:2 or why not, 4:4:4 120 fps camcorder with changeable lens I would not complain... And the price tag under the EX1 price, of course, maybe the A1 price :lol: That would be fine. Since it is now only dreamin', we have to wait until April...

#197 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

Sounds good with Sealux... Make sure it covers all controls (well as much as poss) and 2 or 3 flip arms filters & diopters...

I'm in if any manufacturer does this!!! I have to have an Expodisc with any future housing I purchase, and having wide angle plus achromatic or APO flip diopter for great macro.
Dan
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#198 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'll close off this thread with Adam Wilt's detailed review of the PMW-EX1, which should be enough talk about this camera. If anyone has info on the various housings or more pertinent news, please start a new thread. 5 pages is enough for most to sift through.

The Gates EX1 Housing thread is here

The Sealux EX1 Housing thread is here

Drew