Sony PMW-EX1 (aka XDCAM EX) Official Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
197 replies to this topic

#81 hd2o.tv

hd2o.tv

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:I've been in video production since early 90s. Finally shooting HD underwater. Get our 2008 DVD from our site! http://hd2o.tv/

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

That's smear which is a characteristic of CCD sensors. Nothing to do with the video format.

Only HDV does it. That's why I assumed it was a format OR COMPRESSION flaw. Not sure if I miss-typed format. I think and therefore I am dangerous. That's why I went with DVCPRO.
regards,
hd2o.tv
Paul Dymon Films

#82 Aqua Luminous

Aqua Luminous

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

Still Discovery and Nat Geo have accepted it as a broadcast program capture format.

Drew,

Did you get this info from them directly from their acquisition department?
I have heard mixed feedback it would be nice to know for sure so we don€™t have another Z1 type issue!

mahalo
Scott

#83 Neptune7

Neptune7

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

Just got a reply from Jean-Claude at Amphibico. They haven't had a prototype or a model to work with. They haven't started to work on any potential housing for the PMW-EX1. They also told me they received only 3 enquiries for a housing for this camera. So they say they might pass on this one!!!

Any news from other housing manufacturers?

Pierre

P.S. JC also told they are waiting their RED One to build a housing for the RED...

#84 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Word is that some others will likely pass on this as well. They just don't make money on such limited runs. I think Gates and other manual manufacturers are more likely to build for it b/c it is much easier for them than electronic guys.

I really don't know where i will go after the FX1/Z1. I really need 4:2:2 but don't see any reasonable options.

-shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#85 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

Just got a reply from Jean-Claude at Amphibico. They haven't had a prototype or a model to work with. They haven't started to work on any potential housing for the PMW-EX1. They also told me they received only 3 enquiries for a housing for this camera. So they say they might pass on this one!!!

Any news from other housing manufacturers?

Pierre

P.S. JC also told they are waiting their RED One to build a housing for the RED...

Crikey...Now we have to beg a comany to make a housing that causing a massive stir in the industry... -_-

Its getting worse...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#86 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:59 PM

I suppose there is more money in the point and shoot HC7 - HC3 etc market.

Well I know I will be getting an EX setup if it's an acceptable format.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#87 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:04 AM

Drew,

I have heard mixed feedback it would be nice to know for sure so we don’t have another Z1 type issue!

mahalo
Scott

The last I'd read was that Discovery do accept the existing XDCAM format, but that NatGeo and the BBC are not particularly happy with it and prefer DVCPRO HD. As far as I'm aware no one has yet nailed their name to the mast on the EX version of XDCAM and if there eventually turns out to be any difference then this could cause additional confusion. This is just what I've heard and not direct from any of these organisations.

I'll probably get ripped apart by Drew now for talking crap again.... -_-

Cheers, Simon

#88 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:20 AM

Much as I hate to say it guys. Looking from the outside in I've never seen so many Z1's all lined up nice and shiny as the display I recently saw in the Nat Geo Imaging Dept here in the DC head office. Reckon there must have been about 60 or so. The shop clerk told me that only about half had ever been used!! No word on whether they will be adopting this system though.

Will try and sniff around some more.

Cheers,
Mark

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#89 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

Hm,

I think we need two camcorders:

1. a small one, like the Fx7/V1 in a housing with manual controls - to travel easy and make storyboards, B-rolls etc. And it can save our valuable tapes as well.

2. a big one, with 4:2:2, HD, interchangeable lenses - for those shots which are needed to make our films - based on the storyboards. At this point this camera is (if I am right) only the RED. It costs more, but it gives much more. And I think in that case the acceptance of broadcasters can not be a question.

This is like to have a point-and-shoot still camera and a D3 or a Hasselblad:-)

I am moving to this direction. When I go only for a divetrip, I will carry the V1. If the place is very good for video, I can return and make a much better film (in technical and aestethic meaning), based on my knowledge about the place and the formally shooted video.)

I know this is not very cost effective - at least for the first time reading, but I am convinced, that this a right way - at least for me -_-

Jules

#90 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:27 AM

Drew,

I have heard mixed feedback it would be nice to know for sure so we don€™t have another Z1 type issue!

mahalo
Scott

Discovery HD Canada has been using XDCAM HD at 35mbps for the last 10 months. Someone sent me an official list months ago. Google it.

BBC lists this criteria as standard def:
The following formats are considered to be standard definition:
o All standard definition video formats
o HDV from all manufactures
o Cameras with image sensors under ½€
o Super16 film whether transferred to tape in high definition or not
o 35mm film transferred to standard definition tape formats
o Non linear editing codecs with bit rates below 160Mbs

Furthermore, BBC and Discovery do joint HD productions as well. So if Discovery accepts it, BBC should accept it. Natgeo has had a few programs with XDCAM HD camerawork.
All programs must be submitted HDCAM.

Disclaimer:
IF you are commissioned by the BBC, NGC or Discovery to do a program, your producer should have cleared your main capture format already. Some discovery programs are shot in HDV19, but only on the JVC ProHD cameras.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#91 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:31 AM

I think it's a huge assumption that just because Discovery accept XDCAM and they work with the BBC occasionally on some HD productions that this automatically means that the BBC will accept it as well.

A couple of weeks ago I sent the BBC some footage that they have purchased and they didn't even have the ability to capture HDV in that particular department. These are huge organisations and just because they have a format listed as acceptable does not necessarily mean that they want to use it or are even capable of using it for that production.

I can understand fully why people don't want to get into a situation where they are investing a lot of money in cam like the EX1 that they think will be widely acceptable and then find out that it isn't -_-

Crystal Ball or Magic Eight Ball anyone??

Cheers, Simon

#92 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:17 AM

Simon
Discovery accepts XDCAM HD from F350/330. EX1 has NOT been evaluated. That is why I dislike talking about cameras that haven't even been released yet. Sorry if anyone thought I was alluding to the camera's output. I was referring to the format. Just like DVCPro HD from HVX200 is treated as SD at Discovery, the same could happen to the EX1. The BBC and Discovery also sell programs to each other as well as co-produce.
The BBC stipulates finished program be in HDCAM. Standard Def (as described in post above) is allowed in only 25% of the program duration.
Point is what your master capture format is up to the producer who negotiates the deal. If you are producing your own HD program for broadcast, then you better clear it with the broadcaster regarding XDCAM HD. Regardless of where your source is, if you get the commission for the program and they accept your format, then you're gold.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#93 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

Absolutley...

Capture a Dolphin playing black jack with a manta on Hi8 and they would sell their Grandmothers for it...

Its all material...If its been filmed before and your asking to much forget it...

Don't dwell to much on this format that camera sort of thing...If its good it will sell...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#94 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Dean
Stop confusing the issue! -_-
What the few are asking is the acceptability of XDCAM HD 35mbps for master capture format (greater than 25% content). For submissions, even cellphone captures work if the shot is rare. That is already long accepted.
This question is for the producer to make sure. With some of the programs even aiming for theatrical release, this question is a valid one. Theatrical release is a different animal that's left for the post guys to deal with. But capture is key in how the post is handled.

Drew

#95 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

Yeah stop confusing things Dean!! :o :wub: -_-

Cheers, Simon

#96 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

Yeh Dean....go an put a wall up or something. -_- :wub:
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#97 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:53 AM

Yeh Dean....go an put a wall up or something. :) :lol:

Is that some kind of ozzie insult... :)

DVCAM is still the widely accepted format at the BBC...Oh and DVC PRO..

Although I'm not the only one sending them HDV and letting them sort it out .... ;)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#98 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

Capture a Dolphin playing black jack with a manta.......

Which is pretty much an everyday occurrence in most aquatic penitentiaries. :) :)

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#99 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

The PMW-EX1 (XDCAM-EX) starts shipping in the US in about three weeks for a US price of between $6,449 and $6,999 including one 8GB SxS card. It can be pre-ordered now. Purchases made between Nov. 07 and Mar. 08 through a qualified dealer will get an additional 8GB SxS card free from Sony after filling out a questionaire. The Sony VCL-EX0877 (.8x) wide angle adaptor for EX1 is US $450, has full zoom thru, and is said to be a very high quality lens. Housing manufacturer choices will be very limited, as few have yet decided to support this camera. If I decide to get the EX1 (probable) with the excellent Sony WA converter, and knowing that there will be limited electronic controls (no LANC), then I can get a lower priced custom housing from Aquavideo and the EX1 for the same or less money than my current FX1/Bluefin HD combo cost new. My main reasons for this upgrade would be for the increased resolution and image quality, low light (.14 lux vs. 4 lux) ability, 1/2" chips with higher quality codec (should be readily accepted as HD by broadcasters), increased dynamic range, and many other advantages. I also have a very strong desire to have full zoom thru capability underwater again. I have discussed with Mike at Aquavideo about producing a custom aluminum housing for this camera, and he will definitely do it as soon as he can get a camera to work with. BTW, he has already produced and sold three housings for the RED camera. Aquavideo is only a 25 min. drive from me, so I may have a new camera/housing in the works soon. I am looking at using a glass DSLR dome port on the front, try and fit in a flip arm or two, any electronic controls (if possible) that would be available, and as many manual controls as needed. I will also be needing an HD monitor, either internal or external. Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?
Dan

Edited by videodan, 21 October 2007 - 09:11 AM.

Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#100 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

Well that sounds great Dan.
There is 16 GIG cards coming out as well.

As of today....I bet I get one underwater before you though :guiness:
Who will be the first...the Yanks or Aussies...ha ha...
Going to use the Amphibico 16.9 monitor on top if we can as and option when needed.