Sony PMW-EX1 (aka XDCAM EX) Official Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
197 replies to this topic

#161 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:54 AM

Well I suggest you figure out why XDCAM transfer isn't working on your computer. Otherwise, you'll still have that problem when you buy your EX1 :)
I suggest you reinstall Transfer AND the SxS plugin as well. I haven't had a problem at all. The interface is stupid though and the extra step of removing the wrapper is also silly. But that's why you get for playing with propriety codecs.

Well, I just arrived from the dealer. With the card inserted, it worked, the clips are on my timeline. I will post the strobe pix soon.

#162 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:28 AM

Then you must've screwed up with the files or adding the desktop. :)
Last time I played with the EX1 I didn't try to break the imager... this time I will.
Remember that underwater strobes are usually more powerful than the flash units topside. And usually 2 or more are firing.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#163 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:33 AM

So, here is a 12.8 MB pdf file with the test pictures.

The test was possible with the help of the Visuals Switzerland.

PDF

#164 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:57 AM

Lemme guess, partial exposure shows up. Were you shooting 25P or 24P?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#165 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:18 AM

Lemme guess, partial exposure shows up. Were you shooting 25P or 24P?

This time only 24p/60p. But the partial exposures are not the same, they vary and exists at 60p as well.

#166 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:14 AM

Simon,
Be carefull what you wish for. :) :D [attachment=6506
:attachment]

You should be able to check this out at IBC next week.

Far too small for any hand held work.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#167 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

This time only 24p/60p. But the partial exposures are not the same, they vary and exists at 60p as well.

Finally downloaded your test. Seems in 60P it only affects one frame which is a good thing. However you used a little camera flash. Underwater strobes are much more powerful.
It shouldn't matter to most but for those who shoot with strobe users, it is something to think about.
I still question whether lightning does the same thing. Would be sad if it did, but I don't think it should.

Drew

#168 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

Gyula
In 60P what were the settings, particularly shutter speed?
Obviously the timing of the strobe to the shutter is the key.

Drew

#169 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

I used for each shot 48. At least I set it manually at the beginning of the test...

#170 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

well it seems the problem is there. Just how it manifests itself is the key. The timing of the strobe to the rolling shutter seems to dictate how much it affects the frame(s).
I guess you won't be seeing this camera being used at any red carpet events with lots of paparrazzi or some underwater shootout where shooting photographers will be important. :(
No such thing as perfection. :angry:

Drew

#171 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

For under £5000 what do you expect...come on...Its Sh#ts on the comp so far in its range...But is this a prob for all HD/HDV cams...??

Are you sure you don't work in some way for Panny... :blush:

Its been getting rave views everywhere...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#172 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

Dean, it's always good to know the limitations of any tool. This is one of them, a result of using a rolling shutter.
If you have read what has been discussed so far, it is a characteristic of CMOS sensors using rolling shutters. It isn't present on CCD cameras. Then again CCDs have more smearing.
The rave reviews are over any new camera. The Z1 had rave reviews as did the XH and Panny. The point of reviews is that it allows the user to find out where the strong and weak points of any system are and CHOOSE! Raving over EX1 does nothing for those who shoot in flash/strobe environments and suffer from these issues. Obviously there are workarounds in post.
I don't care for any brand so long as it suits my purposes. I don't expect any product to be perfect. I just want to know what I should be expecting from the camera and how it can be used.

Drew

#173 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

So it is only for CMOS progressive scan? CCD prg.scan does not suffer from this?

I have a V1. It uses also 25 p.scan, and I checked one of my footage. I have a uw strobe in the front, and it does not show this phenomenon. Or it is linked to only the 24p cameras?

#174 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:45 AM

Point taken Drew Meister...

I was only playing wid yer...

Of course it will have limits....If i ever decide to buy this beastie then i'll stay away from weddings and red carpet occasions when i'm shooting... :blush:

The only thing i was disso'd with was the fact it didn't have interchangable lens but the 429mm equiv on this baby should be fine especially with a convertor.....and then again ive never owned a cam with changeable lenses....hmmm i might be off down the shop soon...I'm selling it to myself...

Just need housing feedback...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#175 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:21 AM

So it is only for CMOS progressive scan? CCD prg.scan does not suffer from this?

I have a V1. It uses also 25 p.scan, and I checked one of my footage. I have a uw strobe in the front, and it does not show this phenomenon. Or it is linked to only the 24p cameras?

It does happen with any rolling shutter CMOS sensor... I've got a few examples of rolling shutter in 30P and 24P. If it doesn't show up it's because the timing of the strobe just hit at the point of the shutter where there's minimal effect. The rolling shutter is universally known to have the phenomenon. You want to test yours... record a few seconds while shaking violently like you are running down a hill. Then watch the tape.
Again those circumstances are rare and out of the shooting scenarios of many, but it does occur.

Drew

#176 BillyC

BillyC

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:59 AM

Will Gates or Amphibico be on-board to build a housing for this Camcorder?

My first post! Cheers :excl:

#177 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

gates are releasing one, to be available june/july '08. if you email gates customer services they will send you a price guide.
[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#178 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

For anyone considering getting the new Sony EX-1, I would definitely put that thought on hold. Its rolling shutter issue is a major problem. Take a look at this footage. I was amazed at how glaring a problem it was. The Sony folk really fell down or looked the other way in R & D.
Steve

http://www.freshdv.c..._shutter_artifa
ct.mov

Okay, apparently the bottom part of the url ct.mov is not becoming a part of the URL that you click on and thus do not get to the film. My suggestion is to just add it on after you have C & P the beginning part.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#179 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

Apparently most cams suffer from this prob including V1, Z1, A1 etc... even the holy grail RED.. i understand why Z1 / FX1 / Panny owners don't like the Ex1 sour grapes..who knows.. The low light capability on the Ex1 is ment ot be amazing the footage i saw was out standing..what can you do about the rolling shutter...post..i hear you say....I spoke to a Ex1 user today the vignetting prob is fixable or a thing of the past..or depends on the serial number of you cam...Newer models don't suffer...apparently

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#180 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

Here you can find a complete forum for EX1.

http://www.dvxuser.c...splay.php?f=124

An interesting review from Barry S. can be found there as well.