• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hey all, finally got my new Mac Pro 3GHz Dual Core with the 1900 card and 5.5 gigs ram. 750 gigs in the boot drive and another 500 in one of the slots plus all the external drives. Damn, if this thing
doesn't blaze its renders. Unreal, haven't used it with AE yet which is notoriously ram hungry and slow but with FCP, it is cooking. Fans are quieter as well. Glad to have finally sold the G5 though that was a darn stable computer and pretty fast itself.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

What kind of render times are you getting ? 1x, 2x, 3x ?

I'm getting 2x using Vegas on a Quad Core PC. Meaning a 10 minute video takes 20 minutes to render.

#3 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

Congrats no your new toy Steve!

I've had my mac pro now for a couple of months and although not as high a spec as Steve's it (to me at least) is very very fast.

I've been messing around with different workflows but I've just finished a short film that was captured, edited and output in HDV without any conversion to an intermediate codec. Output times for a just over 6min film (3 video tracks, 6 audio tracks) was around 35 mins so probably x5 or x6. I'm sure there is a faster way though!

Cheers, Simon

(P.S. had to do this film in native HDV as I'd run out of space (1tb) capturing using AIC. I had very little option other than buying more HDD which I will do eventually or wiping off a load of footage that I need for other projects. I was actually surprised how easy it was to edit in HDV after what I'd been told in the past. The PowerMac was more than capable to handling it.)

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

Ron..Simon's comments really state why I can't answer yours. It really all depends upon how many layers, and motion graphics as well as the length of the sequence. I always preview everything in high resolution and where I used to get that old 'needs render' message on many keyframed clips, I don't get them now and get to view most things in real time. I got the Power Mac when I was in the middle of editing someone else's Cocos Islands project for them and it was shot in SD, not HDV. I have a ton of my own HD stuff that I haven't even seen the footage of yet. Need to get this guy's project completed first.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

Congrats, Steve! i hope you meet "Mac Pro" and not "Power Mac." :blush:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hey Eric, long time no hear....yep on the Mac Pro...too many names these days for this old guy to remember.
Steve B)

PS Are you still running the video festival this year? Would be good to hear from you.
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#7 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Steve,
Sounds like a monster. What is the series of the laptop? Any specific name? I'm selling all my computer related stuff and want to look at getting a strong laptop for field work, specs sound impressive on yours. Price?

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#8 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

I may get the odd 'needs rendering' message, but editing in HDV with 3 video tracks and 6 audio tracks it only happened rarely, mainly on transitions. If I output from HDV to HDV then it's more or less real time. The x5 or x6 above was from HDV to a SD DVD.

Too many options for my brain to handle, but it's certainly fast enough for me! :blush:

Cheers, Simon

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

Hey Mark,
It was a slip of the tongue as Eric pointed out. I got a Mac Pro Tower and not the Mac Book Pro, the laptop, which I will be getting in a couple of months. I have a friend who works for Apple and he gets me 15% off as opposed to the 10% I got as a teacher. The reason I need to wait is because it seems that Apple can't produce the Mac Book Pro's quick enough and even the retailers have to borrow from other retailers when they run out.
What laptop are you currently using? Will it run Studio 2?
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#10 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

No current laptop but looking to get my first one. Something strong enough to handle field edits in both HDV and higher.....most people are option for the Mac Book Pro.....yet to see what configuration will best suit my needs.

Cheers,
Mark.

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

Mark,
Also been doing my research on that as I also have not had a laptop. So far, everyone whose opinions I regard highly has told me that the 15" is the way to go as the 17" is too big and clumsy for field or airplane work. The 15" also has an improved backlighting which hasn't migrated to the 17" yet. It's also been suggested that I purchase the regular screen and not the glossy which, after taking a good look at them yesterday in the Apple Store in San Diego, I agree with completely. I've also heard some mention that the black color doesn't seem to hold up like the silver model. Not sure I completely get that last one. And finally, I spoke to Ken Stone this afternoon and he said new laptops are due out soon. But that is always the case, isn't it? Right now I have the top of the line Mac Pro and in a few weeks it will be a loss leader.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#12 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:37 PM

just picked up my macbook pro 15" on Friday.

They will probably announce a new laptop soon, especially since i just bought mine. But seriously, since they are about to announce Leopard, they are probably going to up the processor and other stuff. O well, i needed it because my thinkpad was dying.
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage

#13 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

Cripes !!!! More upgrades already...

I will hold off until Mid October me thinks and then decide...If thats long enough... :blush:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#14 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

I got a MacBook pro at my local Mac retailer (not an Apple store) friday. Highest spec 15" and they had it in stock. Maxed out the ram at half what Apple would charge you.

I don't do video but so far this thing rocks. Runs Aperture nicely, though I don't have 65,000 images in it.

Doesn't feel any heavier than my old 12" and the screen is much more usable. Love the back lit keyboard and it was great to be able to get a matte screen. I studied them vs. the glossy for a long time and think the matte is better.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#15 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

I too am waiting post-October to see what is what.

I have requirements to run Linux and Windoz for the software I develop so this year I tested out both Parallels and beta VMWare Fusion on my current 15" MacBook Pro. I was impressed enough to purchase the Fusion product. (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion)

I'm hoping that be the end of the year that I can either:

1) Get a 13" MacBook Pro
2) Get a 15" MacBook Pro with >3Gb of RAM
3) Get a more Juiced up 13" MacBook w > 2Gb RAM

I find the 15" to be just a tad larger than what I really need so I'd like a more compact form factor. The rumor mill is abuzz with what might be in store (no pun intended)
---------------
Mark

#16 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:07 AM

Just got my shiny new 2.4GHz MacBookPro, finally went with the 17" version. Boosted the ram from 2 to 4GB. Internal drive is currently a 7200rpm 150GB but will boost that in size for the scratch disk next week.

Just loading up iTunes and other stuff. Just picked the thing up a few hours ago. Looks sweet.

Cheers,
Mark.

#17 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

Now I'm doubly jealous....congrats Mark.. did you get black or silver....flat or glossy screen? Lacie has a small sized field external made to take the bumps in the field that you might want to use for your media drive.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#18 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hi Steve...

Would you recommend USB2 or fiewire, or both if they do them, for the Lacie ???

What storage

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#19 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

Dean,
I prefer Fire wire but USB would do the job as well. Here's the url and attached pics. I know Mary Lynn has been using one for a few years and loves it for field work.
Steve B)

http://www.lacie.com...ge.htm?id=10036

Attached Images

• hard_drives.jpg

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#20 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

Cheers me old son !!!

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)