• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Esaw

Rob Esaw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 04:21 PM

Looking at going to Cuba for wedding and (hee-hee) diving.

We are thinking about Jibacoa. It's somewhere between Veradero and Havana. I hear there's a nice all-inclusive resort there, blah blah, but let's get to it: will I like the diving???

#2 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 11:27 PM

When I was in cuba the last time i wan't diving allready, so i can't give you a first person opinion.

As far as i heard the caribean side must be much better then the Atlantic. I heard Cayo Lago should be very nice.

Bye Simon

#3 KimInNB

KimInNB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:39 AM

I was in Varadero in November of 2001 - 2 weeks after Hurricane Michele. I was NOT impressed with the diving in that area.

There is a large Russian wreck that has supposed grown up quite a bit since my visit, and I understand that they have sunk some smaller boats in the are to promote diving tourism.

Also, I hear the Bay of Pigs is incredible diving - but I can't comment from first hand experience.

Are you going to Sandals? That was being built when I was there - I stayed at the sister resort... Beaches Varadero. We lived on ice cream, bread and tropical drinks -- the food SUCKED!!!

Canon S2 IS, Ikelite 6140.02, Inon UWL-100 WA Lens & Ikelite DS-125
www.pbase.com/kiml

#4 Rob Esaw

Rob Esaw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:43 PM

These are some of the concerns I had.

The resort we were considering is a Breezes.

I've seen video from the Bay of Pigs, but how do you get there? Is it an all day thing, or are there resorts there too???

#5 KimInNB

KimInNB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 04:50 AM

The Bay of Pigs is a day trip - I think it's about 2 hours towards Havana and then a sharp turn south. I know of people that left at 9am and were back for supper. I don't think there are resorts in that area.

Most dive shops have excursions there at least a couple of times each week. And they push it. Bargain with them - prices are not firm.

One thing to remember --- TAKE YOUR OWN GEAR!!! This is Cuba - gear is tattered, I wouldn't trust my life with it. Tanks are most often steel. Both DIN and yoke fittings can be found.

Canon S2 IS, Ikelite 6140.02, Inon UWL-100 WA Lens & Ikelite DS-125
www.pbase.com/kiml