echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:28 AM

for immediate release

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- September 7th, 2007 --

Wetpixel LLC announces the arrival of a new quarterly print magazine devoted to high-quality underwater photography. Wetpixel Quarterly brings fans of the underwater realm spectacular imagery in a landscape-oriented, high-resolution format. As well as celebrating the beauty of the deep, Wetpixel Quarterly provides a forum for a necessary dialog on marine conservation among photographers, researchers, conservationists, and the general public. To help foster this community, the magazine accepts and encourages contributions from professional and amateur photographers alike. Wetpixel.com is the most respected online destination for all things related to underwater imaging; Wetpixel Quarterly presents an exciting new venue for showcasing the work of this community in print.

Posted Image

The magazine's founders, Eric Cheng and Elijah Woolery -- both avid divers and underwater photographers -- hope to foster environmental stewardship by highlighting conservation concerns in Wetpixel Quarterly's theme-based issues. "By drawing attention to the links between the beauty of the underwater world and the action required to sustain these environments," says Woolery, "we're hoping to increase interest in preserving threatened areas around the globe�"and to help protect those areas that are still pristine." Through interviews, articles, open contests, and, most importantly, the lenses of its contributors, Wetpixel Quarterly brings to the page a new sense of the fragility and splendor of underwater life.

About Wetpixel Quarterly:

Wetpixel Quarterly was founded in 2007 by Eric Cheng and Elijah Woolery to create a high-quality quarterly showcase of the best in underwater imagery in conjunction with news and information about marine research and conservation. Wetpixel Quarterly is printed in landscape orientation using 50% recycled materials. For more information, visit http://www.wetpixelquarterly.com/

Wetpixel Quarterly
Elijah Woolery
434 Napa St.
Sausalito, CA 94965
United States of America
Phone: +1-415-449-1456
Web: http://www.wetpixelquarterly.com
###

Posted Image

---

NOTE: Wetpixelquarterly.com is still undergoing last-minute bug fixes. Subscriptions work -- mostly. There are still a couple of navigation paths that can lead to errors. We should have these resolved within a few days. Thank you for your patience. We're really excited about the new magazine!!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:23 AM

Posted Image
5:22am, Oakland, CA

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

Looks fantastic Eric, a great accomplishment for sure! I just received my copy and the print quality is excellent too.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 debersole

debersole

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

Eric:

I just subscribed a couple of minutes ago and can't wait to see the first issue. Hey, wait a minute, how did Luiz already get his hands on a copy???? :)

Doug
www.debersole.com

#5 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

Congratulations on getting your first issue out, here's to hoping for great success :)

But now, can you clarify something for us:

{from The Wetpixel Quarterly FAQ}
How can I contribute to Wetpixel Quarterly?

Eventually, we will have a formal submission mechanism in place. For the time being, we'll be drawing images from the Wetpixel Picture of the Week contest, from images submitted in the Wetpixel forums, and from images submitted directly. To submit images directly, please contact us.

images submitted in the Wetpixel forums... does this mean images posted to WP may be used in WP Quarterly without further permission from the posting party. I'm going to assume not, but could you lay out for us a bit more of the mechanics involved here.

Still, congratulations on the start of another exciting arm to the Wetpixel empire.

Edited by Craig Ruaux, 07 September 2007 - 11:04 AM.

Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#6 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

I don´t think WP Qrtrly was created to be a profitable magazine using free pics and contributors... Or maybe I´m wrong?

I don´t think this is the way it´s going to be, at least not after all the jibbiddy jabbada, about soliciting for free images on WP...

Looks like a cool mag, BTW. Congrats.

#7 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:45 PM

But now, can you clarify something for us:
images submitted in the Wetpixel forums... does this mean images posted to WP may be used in WP Quarterly without further permission from the posting party. I'm going to assume not, but could you lay out for us a bit more of the mechanics involved here.

Hi Craig,

Good question, the answer is no, images posted in the forums will not be used without the photographer's permission. We will contact the photographer, ask if he is interested in contributing and if that's the case, request a high resolution file of the image. Eric will give more details on that soon...

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#8 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:16 PM

Very cool Eric - now that's why you have been above sea level for a while..... :)

I'll subscrube when the kinks get worked out.

Thanks, looks great, Carol

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#9 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:50 PM

Of course not! We'll just solicit great images from the forums here, since there are so many coming through. It's still up to the copyright owner whether to participate or not. I'll have to edit that FAQ to clarify.

I don´t think WP Qrtrly was created to be a profitable magazine using free pics and contributors... Or maybe I´m wrong?

I don´t think this is the way it´s going to be, at least not after all the jibbiddy jabbada, about soliciting for free images on WP...

Looks like a cool mag, BTW. Congrats.

Thank you! The magazine was created as a labor of love, and for the community as well. I like prints, myself -- it's just nice to be able to hold a high-quality magazine in your hands and look at the images in it...

In general, we (obviously) can't publish anything without permission. If you want to participate, we'd love your participation. If you don't want to, then you don't have to. It's very simple... isn't it? But obviously, we hope the community gets excited about the project and wants to see their images in print.

If we can make a profit, I'll be happy because it means I can devote more time to projects like the magazine. If not, it isn't going to stick around. The magazine has been funded so far out of my own pocket. :)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

As soon as I move house I will sign up for this...Looks good..

Even though I loathe Photographers...Always getting in the bloody way :rolleyes:

Out of your own pocket, Crikey Eric if that was my pocket it would be on the back of old beer mats :)

Good times

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#11 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:04 AM

Congrats on your first issue!

I know it has been a lot of time and effort and I look forward to seeing the product as I know it will be a top shelf item.

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#12 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

I am looking forward to my first issue! Congratulations and best wishes for it's success. I am happy to support you and this great forum. Thanks for all the hard work.

#13 mcarey

mcarey

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

I just recieved my copy in the mail.Awesome magazine.Awesome images and great interview.Can hardly wait on more issues.
Great work Eric and Eli.

#14 e=me

e=me

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

Congratulations to you both, this was undoubtedly an undertaking that took you to point of being mania (given your supplied photo above).

But I have to ask, what is the difference, or advantage, of this periodical from others such as Underwater Photography, which is free and is Bi-monthly? A key difference I am sure is that I will actually have some thing in-hand and the images within WPQ will unquestionably be better than those transferred via a PDF such as with UWP. Though I feel this is done to save on download times on our part and bandwidth usage on theirs.

I am all for supporting people I respect, yet, with WPQ I have to wonder why I am going to pay for something I pretty much get for free now. In all actuality I have no idea what I am getting. Why not post, either entirely or partially, the first issue for WetPixel members to view for free? This way we have a better understand as to what is going to be in an issue and in turn giving WPQ the potential of generating more publicity for subscriptions.

I am not trying to be a free loader or down creativity; these are just my thoughts and I am just saying....

e=me

Edited by e=me, 09 September 2007 - 06:50 AM.

#15 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

A partial issue is available for download on the website in the details page for the issue.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#16 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:49 AM

Congratulations! Looking forward to the first issue. :)
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#17 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

I'm signed up, good luck.
Eric will you feature work which is not strictly underwater wildlife related, such as topside wildlife and natural history, and underwater fine art?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#18 ewoolery

ewoolery

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Eli Woolery and I am one of the editors of Wetpixel Quarterly. This is my first post to Wetpixel (long time lurker, first time poster :) ).

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone at Wetpixel for the wonderful reception we've received so far for our first issue, Eric and I are are very stoked that it turned out so well and thrilled with all of the feedback we've gotten from around the globe.

I'm signed up, good luck.
Eric will you feature work which is not strictly underwater wildlife related, such as topside wildlife and natural history, and underwater fine art?

To answer Loftus' question (and Eric may have his own input on this subject), in the short term our focus is on the underwater realm, but I think in the future we may integrate some of the subjects that he has mentioned. I think that our real goal is to create a magazine that is filled with fantastic imagery, that engages the photographic community, and encourages conservation, and we are open to whatever paths happen to take us there.

Once again, thank you all and I hope to be a more regular visitor to this great forum!

Best,

Eli

#19 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1227 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:30 AM

You guys ( Eric & Eli ) are to be congratulated on your efforts.

I think it is great that an online / digital medium has turned full circle and has given birth to a hard copy prodigy - something for the traditionalist's.

Now for issue #2

#20 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

I received my issue this afternoon. I must say it is very nice. Good quality stock and the images are reproduced in fine detail. Even better, since I reported my idiot postman just last week for again rolling up things in my mail that say "DO NOT BEND" and cramming them into my little mailbox, Wetpixel Quarterly was tucked neatly inside my door with no apparent damage!

I think there is definitely something to be gained by the more tangible format. I was a fan of Ocean Realm before the owners of that one went off the proverbial deep end; was in on the ground floor of the very short-lived Ocean's Illustrated as well. There does seem to now be a bit of a glut of SCUBA/UW Photography magazines. However, I still think there is a place for a periodical that focuses on high quality work. But that's just my $45 talking. There is such a plethora of "stuff" on the internet that someone who wants something for free is always going to be able to find something. Not to mention the fact that everything looks pretty good at 800x600 on a bright monitor (even my photos!). Needless to say, the success of this endeavor will depend on keeping the quality high and the articles engaging.

Edited by MikeO, 15 September 2007 - 11:15 AM.

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.