• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shark6047

shark6047

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:41 AM

I'm using 2 YS-110's on a Sea and Sea P&S. I figured I would get decent strobes so when I finally upgrade to DSLR, I can hold off on new strobes for alittle. Anyway my question is this:

I've noticed I have to angle the strobes inward quite a bit. The results are usually good, but I was just wondering, what everyones thoughts were on the matter.

Thanks in advance
eD
Ed Blackshaw
My pictures

Canon 30d, Ikelite Housing w/2 DS125s
Tokina 12-24, Canon 60, and 100mm macro

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

You can angle them inwards for best center illumination, and this works for waters in Hawaii, but if you dive in places with some backscatter you will need to ether point them straight or slightly outwards...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 shark6047

shark6047

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Rocha,
We are heading to Palau this weekend and I've only been using 2 strobes for a short amount of time.
I'll be diving this week to refine my technique prior to the trip.
thanks again
eD
Ed Blackshaw
My pictures

Canon 30d, Ikelite Housing w/2 DS125s
Tokina 12-24, Canon 60, and 100mm macro

#4 vkalia

vkalia

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

Another factor is how far you keep the strobes from the camera. The further away they are, the more you will have to angle them inwards. A third factor is how far the subject is - the further the subject, the less angling needed.

I typically shoot from very close to the subject, so for me, what works best is keeping the strobes relatively close to the camera (maybe 8-10 inches away from the grips), and angling slightly inwards. Reading the new book by Martin Edge, he recommends the same thing as well.

Vandit
DIVEIndia - Dive the Andaman Islands
Photo galleries and intermittent blog
7D, Aquatica case, Inon 45 degree finder, 2 Inon Z240s, Stix arms, Tokina 10-17FE, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 50 macro, Canon 100 macro and Macromate 2x macro adapter

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:02 AM

I think that you will find that Martin Edge recommends aiming the strobes slightly OUTWARDS, to reduce backscatter.

The key is matching strobes to lenses: with macro, almost any strobe will do, if it's not too big to point in the right direction. With wide-angles the beam angle is critical. I use Inon strobes with diffusors, giving a beam angle of 110 degrees, on arms of at least 20cm length. I think that the beam angle of YS110s is less than this, and that could be a problem.

Here is a similar set-up using Ikelite gear:

2004_33_Truk.jpg

Tim

B)

#6 MRE

MRE

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:16 PM

I think that you will find that Martin Edge recommends aiming the strobes slightly OUTWARDS, to reduce backscatter.

The key is matching strobes to lenses: with macro, almost any strobe will do, if it's not too big to point in the right direction. With wide-angles the beam angle is critical. I use Inon strobes with diffusors, giving a beam angle of 110 degrees, on arms of at least 20cm length. I think that the beam angle of YS110s is less than this, and that could be a problem.

Here is a similar set-up using Ikelite gear:

2004_33_Truk.jpg

Tim

B)

Hi Guys

I would do some tests on land in a darkened room. You need to have a sense of the spread of light, which your flashguns emit. For starters position them a similar distance each side of the port but make sure they are behind the port. Start with one gun turned on, shoot the head of a colourful silk (or similar) flower. Try to achieve a black background with a fast shutter and enough aperture for the flash to easily reach the subject. Leave room around the head of the flower so you can check your LCD. Now angle your flash outwards a little at a time, check your histogram and you’ll see the exposure dropping. This indicates that you are finding the edge of your flash beam (no pun intended). My advice is always to learn what one flash will do, then turn the other on and blend them together. In a couple of hours you will have feeling of what one and then a second flash can achieve and in time, which subjects will benefit from dual lighting techniques Good luck

Martin Edge