#1 jethdlr

jethdlr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:UW Photo, Golf, Tennis, Driving Airplanes

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hi,

After reading through these forums has anyone used the YS 120's with the D200 ( C & C DX 200) with any success?

I would appreciate some starting points for macro and WA if you have.

Is it worth $$$$$ stepping to YS 250' Pro's or Inon Z240's. I know there is more control of the strobes externally than with the YS 120's but the camera does most of the work with the YS120's.

Would appreciate the input before opening the wallet and pointers for the YS 120's would be invaluable for trip this week. :)

Thanks to all in advance. :rolleyes:

#2 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:10 AM

do you plan on using the Sea & Sea TTL converter (extra $525), or setting the power of your strobes manually?

scott

#3 jethdlr

jethdlr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

do you plan on using the Sea & Sea TTL converter (extra $525), or setting the power of your strobes manually?

scott

Scott,

I plan on manual until I decide what to do about the strobes. It seems everyone I talk to has a differing opinion and until the dust settles I will be a manual type of guy. I shot a housed F100 before and this is my 1st adventure in digital. So any help would be appreciated.

I have the YS 120's (3 of them) and it just seems they should be able to suffice until I decide which way to go with updated strobes. I hear that C&C is coming out with an updated version of the converter the #3 so hate to put out the $$$ until it is well spent.

Thanks for any info.

Jay

Edited by jethdlr, 11 September 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#4 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hi Jay,
If you check with the latest listings on the S&S site, you will notice that they say that the Ys 250 WILL NOT work with any of their TTL converters. If this is the case, then it would appear that the YS250 is a manual only strobe.
HTH,
Bruce

#5 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

Jay,

any strobe that can be "cable fired" (most, if not all, strobes) will work fine with your D200, including YS-120's, 250's, INON z-240, etc...

the YS-120's will be fine, you won't be needing to by other strobes anytime soon...

shooting macro is simple, start with F11, strobes at half power, 1/250th of a second... adjust the strobe power or aperature to get the exposure correct...keep shooting until you get it right

shooting wide-angle is simple... start with F7, strobes at full power, 1/100th of a second...

adjust the strobe power and notice the effect on the subject... adjust the aperture and notice the effect on the foreground and background... adjust the shutter speed and notice the effect on the background...

set your ISO to 100 or 200 and notice the difference...

good luck!

scott

#6 Jez_Tryner

Jez_Tryner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

shooting macro is simple, start with F11, strobes at half power, 1/250th of a second... adjust the strobe power or aperature to get the exposure correct...keep shooting until you get it right

shooting wide-angle is simple... start with F7, strobes at full power, 1/100th of a second...

adjust the strobe power and notice the effect on the subject... adjust the aperture and notice the effect on the foreground and background... adjust the shutter speed and notice the effect on the background...

Scott,
i love your starting guide for shooting dslr. i teach people every day to use cameras under water as part of my job and they all want to know what they should do. that's a pretty good succinct way of putting it, it's very easy to waffle on and on, i like that. i may add that to my arsenal with your permission?
Jez
Canon 5d mkII + Canon 10D, Sea and sea housings, 2xInon z-240 + 2xSea and sea ys-90dx, sigma 105mm, 50mm, 12-24mm Canon 17-40mm, Tokina 10-17mm.
Komodo diving - Bali diving - Burma diving - Maldives diving - Sulawesi diving - Raja Ampat diving.

#7 jethdlr

jethdlr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:28 PM

Jay,

any strobe that can be "cable fired" (most, if not all, strobes) will work fine with your D200, including YS-120's, 250's, INON z-240, etc...

the YS-120's will be fine, you won't be needing to by other strobes anytime soon...

good luck!

scott

Scott

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Being a film guy for years this is really a bit alien having instant gratification. Now that Fuji is making Velvia again I plan on shooting the Ole F100 occasionally too.

Most of those I have seen with digital in my travels to the Pacific in the last couple of years are shooting newer strobes that have multiple settings and TTL converters. My YS 120's and YS 350's are steam driven but gave me excellent film results over the years. You have some great shots on your web page. May I ask what type of setup you are using? Gonna have to get used to the DX thing also as I have way too much Nikon glass to switch to Canon. Not going to jump on the DX/VR bandwagon as friend in Japan says Nikon already has full-frame replacement for D300 (DF300 is code name)and it will be fall of 08) and that glass won't work.

Anyhow I rant. Thanks again.

Jay

#8 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

hey Jez, thanks for the nice compliment! sure, add it to your arsenal..

Jay, I'm using a nikon d80, sea & sea housing, dual Ys-110 strobes... pretty much the same setup you have... I'm sure you'll do great! now get out there and take some shots :)

Scott

#9 MRE

MRE

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

Jay, I'm using a nikon d80, sea & sea housing, dual Ys-110 strobes... pretty much the same setup you have... I'm sure you'll do great! now get out there and take some shots :angry:

Scott

Could not agree more with the latter posts. I have used several film Sea & Sea flash guns with my D200 including the YS 30’s 50’s and 120’s with no problem whatsoever. Go practice in your back yard on a dark night and learn to use, read and understand your histogram. it's a fantastic tool and will ensure accurate exposures after a little practice

Martin Edge

#10 jethdlr

jethdlr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

Jay, I'm using a nikon d80, sea & sea housing, dual Ys-110 strobes... pretty much the same setup you have... I'm sure you'll do great! now get out there and take some shots :D

Scott

Scott and those too who chimed in,

Thanks for the info and I am off to Little Cayman and the Bloody Bay Wall. Oh yeah and the Banded Jaw Fish for Macro practice. :(

One of our dive buddies has her new Subal DXs and new D125's. Should be a GOOD LEARNING CURVE FOR US BOTH! :angry:

Splish, splash, woo hoo.

Yeah I will miss being at work too :P