• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 10:58 AM

I note that when I want to transfer my pictures from the camera to the computer, the Nikon View 4 will ask for the size for the transfer prior to the transfer.

I shoot in fine and full so that I can potentially later go to print.

If I select a smaller setting on the transfer of the files will that affect my ability to later print a quality enlarged print?

I do note that if I transfer in a larger format it will be too large for the screen to view thus, this is why I tried the reduced file size to make viewing easier.

Sorry, I'm new to this so help...
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#2 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 11:07 AM

You should shoot the highest quality and than transfer the biggest file you can to your computer.

Than when you view it, you can resize it in your image editor to fit your screen without losing dat for prints at a later date.

Unless of course you never plan on printing. :)

added:

I didn't notice your comment about the nikon software. try sending it to your computer both ways and see what happens to the file sizes. if they shrink, send the biggest.

[Edited on 4-23-2002 by bobjarman]

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 06:14 PM

Not sure why your computer is doing this. My computer doesn't ask me for file size when I use Nikon view. On my laptop I have Iphoto which is the best for down loading and organizing images from my CP5000. I still use PS6 to adjust them.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 07:31 PM

I connect my coolpix5000 to my PC using the USB cord. My PC is WinXP.

When I make the connection, WinXP pops up a box asking me if I want to print the files, copy them to a folder, view them in photoshop, etc. It's really nice.

The new OS's are making NikonView obsolete. If you look around at some of the other disc boards people are asking "What is Nikon View for? Why do I need it?" I have been using it since version 3.0 and unless it has some features I don't know about I can tell you that WinXP for the PC and iView (or is it iPhoto) have it licked.

PS: another tip: after you copy all of your images to your hard drive, make a folder called "raw pictures" or something like that and archive them there. Also burn that file to a CD. That will save you from overwriting a file by mistake after you have cropped it or something like that.

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 03:12 PM

You should also check out Breeze Systems' Downloader (it's free!):

http://www.breezesys...oader/index.htm

You can set it up to dump your CF files anywhere on your machine. I have mine set up so it creates folders for each date that pictures were taken, so if I took photos for three days in a row, I'd see three folders in my destination folder after running Downloader.

The automation is good. You open the app, it prompts you (optional), and then runs and shuts itself down. :)

From my point of view, unless you are doing strange remote capture stuff with your camera, you're better off just using a CF reader. Less stuff installed on your machine. :)
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -