Photo
- - - - -

Anyone used a Canon 300 (film) housing for a dSLR ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 solenostomus

solenostomus

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

A friend of mine has a UK-Mini housing that's made for the Canon 300 - the original Rebel, an inexpensive film camera.
Here's a photo of the camera: canon300.gif and that's the housing I mean: uk.jpg

Has anyone reused such a housing for a digital SLR ? Would a 350D or 400D fit ?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried to adapt such a housing (even if you've failed).

Thanks

#2 saga7

saga7

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:17 PM

A friend of mine has a UK-Mini housing that's made for the Canon 300 - the original Rebel, an inexpensive film camera.
Here's a photo of the camera: canon300.gif and that's the housing I mean: uk.jpg

Has anyone reused such a housing for a digital SLR ? Would a 350D or 400D fit ?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried to adapt such a housing (even if you've failed).

Thanks

If the camera fits it will work in manual mode for strobe exposure. I have a pentax k100 inside an ikelite n90 nikon housing. I can use shutter release and zoom control. I put camera on 125 a second exposure and let camera pick exposure. I picks f16 or11 depending on distance. If i put camera on 180 second exposure the camera picks f 11 or f8. Not sure on your camera which mode on the camera there is not preflash. Need the camera to send a signal to the flash contacts for this to work. For strobe i have an ikelite a1. 1/2 power on strobe for shots under 2 feet. Full power over 2 feet. Shots turn out great. Dove wakatobi and 95% success rate on the images. Just don't overexpose on digital.

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:31 AM

I've managed to squeeze a 20D into an EOS1N housing together with a time lapse controller, BUT....

The depth (front to back) of dSLRs tends to be far greater than that of film SLRs so... I ended up mounting the 20D far further forward than the 1N was originally. This was not too much of a problem but did mean extra modifications and spacers had to be used on the ports. Before you do anything ensle, make sure that you can fit and centre the dSLR in the housing as my first problem was that the 20D fitted but at a slight angle meaning that some machining had to be carried out. Once you get it to fit you should be able to make it work, but it may be a substantially trickier job than you anticipate unless there is plenty of room inside the housing.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#4 saga7

saga7

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

I have a sea and sea nx90 film housing and am using a d40x inside. A friend of mine put a pentax k100 inside an ikelite housing works good. Only zoom and shutter release is used but i don't play with too much controls underwater so no problem. Use shutter priority mode at 100 speed and allow camera to pick aperature. In bright tropical water f11 or f16 is picked by camera. Strobe is fired with manual settings. I use 1/2 power on ikelite ai and i get balanced lighting. Works great as 90% of shots turn out. For night macro dives use manual control 100 speed f16 just like using a nikonos. SShoot within a foot of the port. Needs a focus light for the autofocus to work.