28 replies to this topic

#1 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 08:43 AM

Well here it comes.......

Have been diving for about 8 years now, about 700 + dives . I used to get some really bad head aches every now and then, but for the first time, I have vomited after a dive ( 2x this quater ).

I am confused, why after 7 years?. About the head aches, I have heard all sorts of stories, i.e.

1. CO2 build up - I breath my lungs completely empty every 10 mins ( so not an issue )
2. De-hydration - I have drunk my self silly on water , pissed like an elephant, but did not help much. ( nice and warm wet suit though ! )
3. Decend slowly feet first, and come up slow - done that, did not seem to helo.
4. I wear a hood to keep my head warm, and it does help some what, but this dive my head was nice and warm.

My gut feeling is it is my Sinus. Anything I can do without having an operation ?

#2 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 06:52 AM

a guy today recons "bad air". then why dont other divers have the same issue ?

#3 Rob Esaw

Rob Esaw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 01:35 PM

Just read about "Salt Water Aspiration" in Diver (Canadian) Magazine.

Does your reg breathe 'wet'??

A possibility...

#4 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 10:00 PM

Thanks. maybe a new hint.

Is this magazine on-line ? I live in Asia so having access to Canadian diver magazines is not easy from here.

Pls advise

thanks

Ugg Ugg ( Caveman "thanks")

#5 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 04:18 AM

Salt Water Aspiration...........

Symptoms

"You ache all over, are so tired you can hardly hold your head up and you have a low grade fever, nausea, headache or shivering"

Well, I have :-

-tired - I can feel I have no power at all when swimming back to the boat. I know then that I will throw up.

-hardly hold your head up and you have a low grade fever, nausea, headache or

-shivering - yes got that some times

Thanks, this could be it. I do take out my reg some times. I do keep my mouth very loose on the mouth piece, between which the water kinda can slip in.

Will try this out.

Thanks ( hope it works )

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 06:18 AM

Remember,

This is an internet message board and should not take the place of sound medical advice.
Please consult your doctor about this - it sounds serious to me.

Sincerely,
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 06:51 AM

Or, if your Doctor is less familiar with diving and diving medicine consult DAN's medical staff for advice also.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#8 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Most doctors haven't got the slightest idea about diveing related issues. Most of them simply say " oh, you should not go down" but when asked why, they have no idea. They simply dont know, and as such, give advice which does not solve / explain the issue. If they told me you should not dive because xyz and abc will cause def, then I can understand and accept. But know one has an explaination.

#9 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 11:46 PM

You shoud try to find a doctor with divemedical experience. Here In germany the is a association fo divedocs, I don't know if you have something similar, maybe DAN can help. You also find them pretty sure in a Hospital that offers Hyperbaric treatment (pressure chamber)

Simon

#10 JedBoy

JedBoy

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:54 PM

Well,
I am a doctor, diver, and I have had similar headaches off and on while diving for over 10 years. By no means am I experienced in Dive medicine other than my personal interest in it as a diver and a physician. I have had some seriously bothersome headaches that have ruined several dives...I have never been able to pinpoint the cause...for a while I thought they were tension headaches related to the physical stress of hauling a tank around on my back...i thought this because the headaches seemed to be related the the position of the tank on my back/bc...I have since discarded this theory. Then i thought it might be related to my neck being extended while diving...a somewhat unnatural position if your up walking around. Doubt that one too...
Finally I have resigned myself to the idea that it is truly a sinus issue. I think there can be times when one of the many sinuses in the head can be very minimally plugged...so little that you dont really have any symptoms on land...yet while diving you can get pressurizing effect of the sinus... like a ball valve effect. I ve noticed that my headache, when I get one, is related to depth and I can somewhat relieve the pain by going shallower...improves during the surface interval..then quickly returns as I start the next dive...
Have you noticed your headaches to be depth dependant?

Do you ever get them when your NOT diving?

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Jed

#11 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 04:57 PM

Thanks Jed,......... mmm hard to explain...................

Well, in general terms, I go down fine, and after a while, I notice my body feeling a little warm, and then I start getting the hot and cold shivers. I start noticing the cumberband around my stomach, and it feels like it is pressing on a bloated stomach

Subsequently as I rise, it gets worse, and my head starts to throb, and it feels like its way behind the eyes .

When I get to the suface ( lately ) , I feel so tired and have no energy to kick back tot he boat.

Get on the boat, I throw up. energy comes back. In the past, teh head aches used to floor me for 4 or 5 hours, and I had to stay in the dark ( no bright lights ), had cold shivers all the time ( in 36 Deg C tropics ! ) and did not appreciate people approaching me .

It confused me, as the head ahces are slightly more mild now, but now I am throwing up for the first time in 8+ years of diving.

Might be sinus, but not sure.

#12 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 05:30 PM

I've experienced this twice about 7 years apart. The first time was the first dive of the day and I felt great right after I threw up on the boat. I attributed it to diet at the time and stopped eating anything greasy for breakfast. The second was last year and was also the first dive of the day. I did not throw up after the dive but felt bad. I got a trip-ending ear infection immediately after that dive. Both times I was nauseated underwater.

I'm almost always congested so it could be that, too. Sorry I'm not more helpful, but I "feel your pain".
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#13 JedBoy

JedBoy

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 05:56 PM

Caveman,

I would agree with the previous poster...this does sound a little serious. The headache part sounds very much like a migraine headache. The photophobia, nausea, vomiting, lasting several hours, irritability, etc. Why diving would precipitate it I am not sure. As a diver I would be VERY wary about diving again before getting checked out by a physician. Simply the weakness you are having is more than enough reason to stay out of the water. As a doctor (if I were your doctor) I would absolutley prohibit you from diving before being checked out, perhaps by a neurologist, but at least by your family doctor/internist. Seriously, your symptoms are more than just a headache and I would not take them lightly. As always, better safe than sorry...
Jed

#14 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:01 AM

Thanks. I will try to find some one with experience in Diving. Most of the doctors here do not understand scuba related issues, and are lost. In terms of seriousness, well, its not every dive. I can go 20 dives with no real issue, and bang, on the 21st it hits me.

cdmasia told me he had the same, and his was due to CO2 build up, and he siad he had exactly the same symptoms. Given that my RMV during photography hangs between 9 and 10 ( quite low ), there is a higher chance of CO2 build up. He said he couldn't of described the symtoms better him self as it was 100% what happend to him too.

He has given me some tips which he used sucessfully, i..e full exhalation of the lungs every 10 mins, and setting boyancy to be zero with no air in lungs ( instead of half full ) which will cause you to fully exhale to ensure boyancy.

Will give it one more shot

#15 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:17 PM

I can get Brain freezes when I drink cold drinks....... other than that, I dont get headaches on land

#16 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 03:00 AM

You might have 2 issues here.

I tend to think the headaches are CO2 and a switch to nitrox rather than air might have a profound effect on both the headaches and the exhaustion.

The vomiting may be a separate issue. You mentioned your cumberbund felt like is was getting tight from a bloated stomache. You might be swallowing air during the dive causing the bloating and subsequent vomiting.
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#17 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 03:20 AM

I tend to think the headaches are CO2 and a switch to nitrox rather than air might have a profound effect on both the headaches and the exhaustion.

Hi Nemo Nitrox dosn't do anything to reduce the CO2 part of the gas mix you breath. High CO2 Concetrations can only be achieved through incomplete breathing out for a long time or in a rebreather with to old Chalk.

I think you may have a missconception here.
Simon

#18 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the insights. My buddy seems to think it is CO2 as he had the same symptoms. But............. question............. then why dont we have this problem on land? I would breadth just as shallow or shallower right now typing on this computer. So why dont I get a head ache ?

#19 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:20 PM

I too have had these headaches and have attributed them to sinus related problems. I would describe the symptoms as similar to those of migrains, so I have been told. I take 800mg of Ibupropen after breakfast and again after lunch when diving all day, and it seems to work for me. When I don't do this, I get the headaches.

I think photography make you breathe really inefficiently and could contribute to CO2 build up.

#20 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 12:34 AM

Diving after taking painkillers is a very dangerous suggestion (you feel building up near baro-traumas less)

If you are willing to take the risk it's ok with me, but don't advise others to such a non-secure behaviour.

Simon