#1 7seas

7seas

Hermit Crab

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

Conservation Forum, I hope this is not inappropriate for WetPixel

Hector's and Maui's dolphins, which live around the shores of Aotearoa/New Zealand, are amongst the rarest marine dolphins in the world. But unless urgent action is taken these amazing creatures could become extinct within a generation. Scientists estimate over 26,000 Hector's dolphins inhabited the coastal waters of New Zealand's South Island in the 1970s. But today, there is a struggling population of a little over 7,000. Maui's dolphins, the North Island cousin of Hector's dolphin, fare even worse and now number just 110 - making them critically endangered.

WWF New Zealand is working to get 40,000 petitions signed before October 22 to help save these animals from extinction. So far some 22,000 have signed. WWF wants the New Zealand government to strengthen their proposed action plan for the dolphins. www.stoptheirextinction.org.nz today. New Zealand is the only place on the planet that Hector's and Maui's dolphins are found. Thank you for helping ensure they survive and recover.

Lida

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

Lida, this is perfect for Wetpixel's conservation forum. In fact... I'll have it put on the front page... or more precisely... I'll ask someone to do it :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

Lida
The petition is up on the front page and hopefully it will help garner support for these 2 dolphins. I've photographed Hector's but never seen the Maui's. We just lost the Baiji/Yangtze River dolphin to the extinct list. Hopefully there won't be another mammal put on that list so soon after the last one.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

Signed the petition. Seems like dolphins are the next great target now that sharks are so decimated. Marine version of schorched earth policy...
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com