• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:56 AM

I have bought something like 3 or 4 masks in the last few months trying find a good one for photography. In my case I have a Nikon F80 housed in a Sea and Sea NX-80 and need to get close to the eye piece to take a good pic.

Any advice on what you would recommend. I expect it would have very low volume, and no leaks ( arrg...leaks with camera's - real fun stuff)

#2 waterworldimages

waterworldimages

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:19 AM

Mares or Cressi Sub FREE diving are really nice .VERY VERY low volume and you can get the skirt in ALL black to help block out unwanted light.

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:49 AM

I use an Oceanic Shadow. Frameless, extremely low volume, single window and black. I tested it against a ScubaPro frameless and the Oceanic had better peripheral vision. They now make two versions.

I'm not supposed to use Oceanic gear, but I'm not giving it up.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 11:01 AM

I use a Mares "Opera" with the "Tech black" skirt, so that I look all studly and "technical" :freak: It has a reasonably low volume, the de rigeur black skirt, and sits close enough to my eyes that I can see through the viewfinder on my Ikelite housing. Another decider for me was the easy availability and installation of prescription lenses.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#5 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2278 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:53 PM

The one that fits your face; and dosen't leak. In my case that would be the Scubapro Frameless. I use to always check masks anytime that I would be in a dive store. Now that I have the Scubapro I no longer pay any attention to new masks.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#6 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:51 AM

thanks.

I have the shadow, which is nice for normal dives, but I find that the glass is still far from the face. I have also cressi-sub goggle type, which get me closer to the eye piece,( makes me look like a real dork though ! )

#7 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:52 AM

thanks............ will check it out.

#8 lanxx

lanxx

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 10:05 PM

Using the new Mares X vision.
The up/down vision is better them my scubapro framless.
But the horizontal views losses out just by a bit, but the X vision is more comfortable.