41 replies to this topic

#41 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:11 PM

I know this is a very old thread but it makes interesting reading. No-one seems to mention bit-depth. When I started using digital I supplied 16-bit files but was told by an unwilling-to-modernise production man that the bit-depth was not sufficient.
It now seems that printers actually use 8-bit files so once you've done you converting to TIFF, supply as 8-bit files and you will get more files in the space. As I understand it, (and I may be wrong) bigger 16-bit files will simply be converted before printing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi John,

It isn't clear to me if you are talking about bits-per-pixel or bits-per-color. There are 16 bit-per-pixel image formats that basically use 5 bits each for red, green & blue (so really only using 15 bits per pixel). The producting guy you mentioned may indeed have complained about that not being enough as 8 bits-per-pixel (for 24 bits per pixel) is the norm. This may be the 8-bit file the printer was talking about. There are also real 8 bit-per-pixel format but they typically (always?) use a colour table with up to 256 colors. Each 8-bit pixel then just specifies which color out of the table to use.
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#42 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:23 AM

I am simply talking about whether you choose (eg in Photo-shop) whether to save as a 16-bit tiff or an 8-bit tiff.

What the production man really did not like was the icon supplied with files from my scanner when used as a stand-alone application! By going into Photoshop the files look exactly like those from my digital-capture files taken the same way, so they are now OK!

However, the point I was making is that a file finally saved in 8-bit is a lot smaller than one saved in 16-bit so when someone stipulates a file size for repro we need to know what bit-rate too. The aforementioned discussion seemed to point to 16-bit files when referring to TIFFs taken from S2 Pro image-capture, when 8-bit files are actually what is acceptable. (Or so I am led to believe.)

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?