• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Well, I'll be... I learned something new today.

Alas, his box only has the sizes on it! -_-

Posted Image

Jack (my fiancee's father) always calls them "zeus fasteners..." But what would he know.

Hopefully Jack wasn't spelling it like you do, but I don't know what he knows.

I worked with "zeus" fasteners, too, when I was an auto mechanic and helped with my boss's race car. I knew how to spell it AND pronounce it. When I was told to get "zeus" fasteners, I looked for the box with "Dzus" written on it. :wub:

Look it up if you don't believe me. Here's a start.

I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

#22 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

Here is a soft housing for a video camera.
The air is regulated by an extra LPI hose like a dry suit.

Posted Image
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#23 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Bingo! :wub:

If it's good to 30 feet, I'm in business!

I especially like the idea of the flexible pieces so the photographer can reach in and twiddle the controls. In fact, give me an extra 5 inches, and I can pull a Grafmatic magazine to change frames!

Where do I buy one of these housings? -_-

Here is a soft housing for a video camera.
The air is regulated by an extra LPI hose like a dry suit.
Posted Image

Edited by Dan Schwartz, 17 October 2007 - 04:48 PM.

I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

#24 sameguy

sameguy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

When I was in school 20 some years ago we had Ernest Brooks II come out on a few of our dive trips.  He had a Hasselblad Super Wide in a Hasselblad housing, (super old school, even for the time) and there was a shrader (bicycle tire type) valve sticking out the back of it.  He put the camera together pumped a few pumps of air in and hit the water. He said the added pressure would buy him a little time to get to the surface if he saw any bubbles coming out anywhere which did happen from time to time.   

#25 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Wow!  Rise of the zombie thread!  I thought "Walking Dead" was on Sunday night!  :)  It was funny seeing eric comment on a very few top U/W photographers now starting to use vacuum systems.  Boy, how far we have come on that one!  I might go back and try to resurrect a thread commenting on those new fangled digital cameras (like THAT would ever catch on). ;)

Edited by diverdoug1, 26 March 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#26 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

Wow!  Rise of the zombie thread!  I thought "Walking Dead" was on Sunday night!  :)  It was funny seeing eric comment on a very few top U/W photographers now starting to use vacuum systems.  Boy, how far we have come on that one!  I might go back and try to resurrect a thread commenting on those new fangled digital cameras (like THAT would ever catch on). ;)

:D but also a nice little quote from Paul Kay (UK distributor for SeaCam)

Most modern housings use 'O' rings together with a preloading latch or lock system which increases in efficiacy as more external pressure is applied.

Strike a chord at all? ;)

On the subject of positive pressure, has the iDive come up in conversation on the forum yet?

http://idivehousing.com/

Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#27 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

:D but also a nice little quote from Paul Kay (UK distributor for SeaCam)

Strike a chord at all? ;)

Actually, although I'm not sure entirely about this, something I've come across makes me suspect that a positive pressure device designed to be capable of running at several bar may fall foul of pressure vessel regulations here in the UK and might potentially need periodic testing and may also require a fail safe blow out valve fitting - I believe that this might depend on its volume and the pressure - I know model steam engines require something this and they don't run at very high pressures. Given the potential for someone to sue should a pressurised housing fail to depressurise and then potentially cause injury I'm not sure that it would be easily marketable here either.

Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish