• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Novice

The Novice

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

I've never taken an underwater picture, but would like to start. Instead of taking the plunge, I was considering just getting my feet wet and purchasing a older used film housing to play with. I've read several of the post, including the one "Am I crazy to think about film" and it appears that most members of this forum think a newbie should start with Digital. Having said that, this is my thought. I was thinking I could pickup a Sea & Sea NX90 housing relatively cheap (couple of hundred dollars) and start with that. It is my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the components I would purchase, including ports and strobes could later be used with a digital Sea & Sea housing. In this manner, I could learn about the equipment without damaging a more expensive digital and use excess funds to purchase lenses. Does this make any sense?

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

I've never taken an underwater picture, but would like to start. Instead of taking the plunge, I was considering just getting my feet wet and purchasing a older used film housing to play with. I've read several of the post, including the one "Am I crazy to think about film" and it appears that most members of this forum think a newbie should start with Digital. Having said that, this is my thought. I was thinking I could pickup a Sea & Sea NX90 housing relatively cheap (couple of hundred dollars) and start with that. It is my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the components I would purchase, including ports and strobes could later be used with a digital Sea & Sea housing. In this manner, I could learn about the equipment without damaging a more expensive digital and use excess funds to purchase lenses. Does this make any sense?

Some items may work some may not, but you can probably look it up quickly at the Sea & Sea site (strobes should be fine though) and there may be issues of which lens will work with the cameras (again you need to check the lenses that will work with which body.).

At this point I would really steer someone who is new to photography to digital and not film (and I have shot film for decades and still get misty eyed when I think of Kodachrome, Agfa and Ilford). You could start with a small decent point and shoot with a housing just to get your feet wet, as it were, and the instant feedback and EXIF alone is worthwhile. The cost of film and film development, plus transferring to a digital format (even if you scan it yourself, due to time) to learn how to work on the computer with underwater files can quickly add up.

I love my slide film, but ...

#3 The Novice

The Novice

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

I understand what you are saying about digital, and the point and shoot alternative makes sense. I have considered the point and shoot route, and this is my dilema. This probably won't makes any sense whatsoever, but I don't get excited about buying a point and shoot camera. They're just not as cool looking. -_-

I really want to buy a digital housing for my d70s, but can't justify the initial outlay of cash without knowing that I'll stick with this new hobby. The film SLR set up lets me buy something cool :wub: and gives me the excuse (for the wife) to buy accessories that I will be able to use later. It always seems easier to justify expenditures when you stretch them out.

I'm not sure this post makes any sense.

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

I understand what you are saying about digital, and the point and shoot alternative makes sense. I have considered the point and shoot route, and this is my dilema. This probably won't makes any sense whatsoever, but I don't get excited about buying a point and shoot camera. They're just not as cool looking. -_-

I really want to buy a digital housing for my d70s, but can't justify the initial outlay of cash without knowing that I'll stick with this new hobby. The film SLR set up lets me buy something cool :wub: and gives me the excuse (for the wife) to buy accessories that I will be able to use later. It always seems easier to justify expenditures when you stretch them out.

I'm not sure this post makes any sense.

Nah I get it, always the toys myself and hear the cool factor on the P&S side of things ;-) (But if your wife dives you could give her the P&S as a starter and/or carry as a back-up)

One thing to consider is perhaps renting a housing/rig. Since the D70s is older it may not be too pricey, and sometimes you can apply some of the rental back to the purchase, maybe a bit more than the housing you are looking for, but overall you could be better off. Not sure it would be too much more out-of-pocket difference, worth making some calls to some place, reefphoto, backscatter and some of the others here -->