Photo
- - - - -

Can an orthorectilinear panorama camera be housed?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

One of my favorite cameras is my Horizon 202 swing-lens panorama, which is (pretty much) the Russian copy of the Noblex. It's sort of like a reverse of a Cirkut, whereas instead of the whole camera rotating, the lens rotates to expose a 24x58mm film frame over ~130 degree field of view.

Basically, the issue is housing it with a port that works. To that end, probably a cylinder port would be what is needed, since it would be perpendicular to the lens axis throughout the rotation.

[To that end, think of putting a Cirkut, a Hulcherama, or a Roundshot inside a glass jar with the nodal point along the axis.]

To see a sample of my work, go to page 5 of this PDF; or see below.

Anybody? :)

Dan Schwartz
Sayreville, NJ

Posted Image
I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

#2 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

Anyone? :P

#3 jerome@gasava

jerome@gasava

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hi Dan I'm also a fond of panoramic cameras and i'm using 2 cameras the horizon 202 and my last one the noblex 135 N

I'm really satisfied with both topside but I'm pessimistic about using them UW, because you will only use available light (no strobe connections and not enough coverage of them)

The use of the Horizon in a housing should be possible , but what about the Noblex with its aperture selctor wheel on the drum itself ??

anyway pamoramic pictures are always terrific , I think you should try it UW with a DSLR and then paste pictures together :)
www.imagebleue.com
Nikon d2x and Seacam Housing

#4 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:56 AM

Mon Dieu! Someone else here knows what I'm talking about! :(

Hi Dan I'm also a fond of panoramic cameras and i'm using 2 cameras the horizon 202 and my last one the noblex 135 N

I'm really satisfied with both topside but I'm pessimistic about using them UW, because you will only use available light (no strobe connections and not enough coverage of them)

That is correct: You can't use a strobe because it would freeze a stripe on the film where the slit was passing

The use of the Horizon in a housing should be possible , but what about the Noblex with its aperture selctor wheel on the drum itself ??

I don't know: I've never shot a Noblex -- Only a Widelux and a Horizon 202. My next one is going to be a Horizon 205PC... Though I don't think perspective control is quite an issue underwater! :)

The only downside I see to that camera is that the aperture dial is on the lens itself, meaning that it has to be preset before putting it in the housing. All of the other controls are easily reached.

anyway pamoramic pictures are always terrific , I think you should try it UW with a DSLR and then paste pictures together ;)

That would be too pedestrian. ;)

As a side note, last year the eBay "drop shop" about 200 yards from my home had a complete Cirkut 10 setup, including film, 12 foot tripod, lenses, and gears for all of the lenses. I came soooo close to buying it!

#5 Stoffi

Stoffi

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:20 AM

Hallo!

My first thought, afte bying my Noblex.. Can I get it underwater, but I accounted the same problem, how to set the aperature? Well with my noblex you could use the panolux light meter? would this be an option?

Still producing the housing would be a challenge, especially because i have a medium format noblex

regards

Stoffi

#6 Charlie_Matco

Charlie_Matco

Damselfish

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

My first thought, afte bying my Noblex.. Can I get it underwater, ...

Do you have the 150 or 175 model? At least underwater you don't have to shift the lens! :)

Charlie Matco

#7 Stoffi

Stoffi

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:21 AM

Do you have the 150 or 175 model? At least underwater you don't have to shift the lens! :)

Charlie Matco

I have the 150 Noblex.

Here, you find a few of them
http://dasbesonderef...b...age=1&neu=1
or
http://dasbesonderef....php?var=noblex

Would be interessting to shoot wreck with the panorama camera, maybe 3200 ASA b/w

greetings from Vienna

#8 Charlie_Matco

Charlie_Matco

Damselfish

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

:) Greetings from Manhattan!

I just shot one of the 150's at a rental counter about 3 hours ago: Even though the battery LED was lit, one of the four AA cells was weak, and the drum stopped halfway through the first half of the drum revolution, i.e. it only went 90 degrees, and locked up, spoiling 3 of the 6 frames of the Fuji Pro 800H film.

I was planning on renting & shooting it at Times Square New Years' Eve; but I was warned there that these cameras misbehave when cold, not only due to batteries becoming weaker, but also because the lube stiffens up.

Even after explaining to the owner that I already have a Horizon 202, he tried to get me to rent his Widelux.

For US $1300, I can buy a Horizon 205PC (perspective control) camera instead: I've used my 202 down to ~15F (~-10C), and it still worked. Granted, the mechanical drum movement isn't as smooth as the Noblex' electromechanical drive; but if the Noblex doesn't get the shot at all, it's like shooting with the lens cap on! :P

You might want to think about this if you take your Noblex down in 40F (5C) water...

Charlie Matco
Manhattan

I have the 150 Noblex.

Would be interessting to shoot wreck with the panorama camera, maybe 3200 ASA b/w

greetings from Vienna

#9 Stoffi

Stoffi

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:53 AM

Hi!

We are getting a bit off-topic now, but I think something mmust be wrong with the camera. I used my on a snowshoe hike several times, no problems. If I had the chance I would definitly be at the Time Square

regards

Stoffi

:) Greetings from Manhattan!

I just shot one of the 150's at a rental counter about 3 hours ago: Even though the battery LED was lit, one of the four AA cells was weak, and the drum stopped halfway through the first half of the drum revolution, i.e. it only went 90 degrees, and locked up, spoiling 3 of the 6 frames of the Fuji Pro 800H film.

I was planning on renting & shooting it at Times Square New Years' Eve; but I was warned there that these cameras misbehave when cold, not only due to batteries becoming weaker, but also because the lube stiffens up.

Even after explaining to the owner that I already have a Horizon 202, he tried to get me to rent his Widelux.

For US $1300, I can buy a Horizon 205PC (perspective control) camera instead: I've used my 202 down to ~15F (~-10C), and it still worked. Granted, the mechanical drum movement isn't as smooth as the Noblex' electromechanical drive; but if the Noblex doesn't get the shot at all, it's like shooting with the lens cap on! :P

You might want to think about this if you take your Noblex down in 40F (5C) water...

Charlie Matco
Manhattan

#10 Charlie_Matco

Charlie_Matco

Damselfish

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

Hi Stoffi!

Actually, camera reliability is especially important while diving, as you can't unjam a complex mechanism like a Noblex, Horizon, or Hulcherama while underwater.

On the other hand, pool shots would be fun, because (in addition to the water being warm and the models gorgeous!), the lighting in the scene would tend to be more even... The original post of the race track has a nice light balance across the scene.

Charlie Matco,
NYC

P.S.: Lisa Fiel has wonderful documentation of the signage in Times Square.

Hi!

We are getting a bit off-topic now, but I think something mmust be wrong with the camera. I used my on a snowshoe hike several times, no problems. If I had the chance I would definitly be at the Time Square

regards
Stoffi

Edited by Charlie_Matco, 01 December 2007 - 07:52 PM.