• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:38 AM

During my years, I have seen many odd things here in Boston. But none has have stranger than what I saw on Sunday: a wild turkey walking up and down Beacon Street in Brookline. Lucky for me, I had a camera in the car. I double parked, put my hazards on and went to photograph it.

On very rare occasions we hear of moose or bears in the streets. Maybe that's next?

More photos at:
http://www.pbase.com...cer/wild_turkey

Attached Images

• 87642520.iaTzFwvN.Turkey3.jpg

Edited by DesertEagle, 25 October 2007 - 12:12 PM.

Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#2 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

So, you saved some money this year! Happy Thanksgiving.... :-)
Best regards

Christian

Photo& Video: Canon 5D MkII - Ikelite housing - Ikelite DS-125 - Ikelite DS-50
Glas Canon 50mm Macro - Canon 100mm Macro - Canon 17-40mm
Video only: Sony HC7 - Topdawg II Housing and Light System - Gorillapod UW-Tripod
My Website with Pictures and HD movies Last update 01-2010

#3 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

I guess Thanksgiving did come early!

On Tuesday, the Boston Globe ran this article:
http://www.boston.co...o_cities_towns/

Now I'm jealous of their photo. My bird ignored me. The bird photographed in the article showed its full plumage.

Edited by DesertEagle, 25 October 2007 - 12:13 PM.

Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#4 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

Nice shots!

Occasionally, moose indeed come into Boston, following the railroad tracks...
http://services.bost...mp;category=103

During my years, I have seen many odd things here in Boston. But none has been stranger than what I saw on Sunday: a wild turkey walking up and down Beacon Street in Brookline. Lucky for me, I had a camera in the car. I double parked, put my hazzards on and went to photograph it.

On very rare occasions we hear of moose or bears in the streets. Maybe that's next?

More photos at:
http://www.pbase.com...cer/wild_turkey

I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

#5 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

Actually, Ben Franklin lobbied for the wild turkey to become our national bird; but he lost out and it became the bald eagle instead.

It's nice to see your commonwealth's turkey repopulation effort paid off. Now, if you could take back some of the turkeys (and the swimmer!) you sent to Washington... :D

By the way, two weeks ago this red-tailed hawk was on our front lawn, 3 feet outside our bedroom window. I first took a few shots with my S2 Pro (below); then got my 300mm lens & shot some 6x45 frames onto Provia 400X, awaiting drum scanning.

On Tuesday, the Boston Globe ran this article:
http://www.boston.co...o_cities_towns/

Now I'm jealous of their photo. My bird ignored me. The bird photographed in the article showed its full plumage.

Attached Images

• DSCF4290_tight_crop.jpg

Edited by Dan Schwartz, 25 October 2007 - 09:03 AM.

I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

#6 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

nice job seeing the wild turkeys! we get them at my parent's house in buffalo all the time actually...these seem to be "urban" turkeys though.

they are usually in flocks, strange you only saw 1 turkey...maybe he escaped from somewhere.

scott

#7 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

Actually, Ben Franklin lobbied for the wild turkey to become our national bird; but he lost out and it became the bald eagle instead.

I am thankful he did not win that one, all the things he did and he went with the Turkey. Wild Turkey is meant for drinking, not a national bird :D

#8 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

I am thankful he did not win that one, all the things he did and he went with the Turkey. Wild Turkey is meant for drinking, not a national bird :D

Amen to that!

#9 dawktah

dawktah

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Trying to learn as much about photography

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

I have actually seen Pheasant around Chicago. They are returning as well.