• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 tjgreen

tjgreen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

A great example of this is when a friend of mine from London came down to visit me and came out with all my marine biologist friends. He spent the whole night insisting that the blue whale was the biggest fish in the world! And none of them could get the fact he was joking. :)

I don't get it. Is there a bigger fish?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Sad but true story: I was at the Museum of Natural History in NYC in August. They've got an immense blue whale hanging from the ceiling, and I overheard a woman tell her two young children exactly that. I guess the moral is, please write more books - if it's fun to learn, more people might do it.
Tim
tjgreen.smugmug.com/underwater

#22 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:44 AM

Great work Alex, I'll be ordering my copy today!

Cheers, Simon

#23 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

Congrats Alex... Looking fwd to getting a copy of your book on my coffee table... after I read it for the nth time... :)

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#24 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2987 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:58 AM

I finally received my copy of the book that I bought myself for Christmas. I guess Amazon is having trouble keeping them in stock in the US. It is truly a impressive work. I've read it four times so far, the first time for the shear joy of the images, the second for the science and knowledge, the third time I read the book last night I concentrated on the photographic details included with each image. This book is easily worth twice the price as a underwater photography lesson. The fourth time through it, I reveled in the way the book flows and engages the reader to turn the page to see what's next. I love the way Alex makes the case for protecting the reefs of the world without hitting people over the head with it. If you haven't ordered your copy(s) yet, I highly recommend it.

It's an amazing book Alex, Congratulations. :P

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#25 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

You're welcome, Steve. More posts like that, please. :P

Yesterday I was presenting the book at the Bath Literature Festival, which was a lot of fun. One of the strange things about writing a book is that you never get to see people experiencing it. It is great to get that feedback at events - to see what people like and which images and sections of text they really respond to.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#26 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:29 AM

You're welcome, Steve. More posts like that, please. :P

Not quite the same post, but I just ordered it at amazon, though they say it will be awhile before it ships...now how do I get it autographed? :)

#27 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:31 AM

Not sure how I missed knowing about this book (obviously I'm not as obsessed with your career and goings-on as I should be, Alex :P )!

Anyway, I just ordered a copy, and thought the following were interesting:

1. Neither bn.com (Barnes & Noble) nor buy.com appear to have ever heard of it, so you can't order it from either of them! <_< (I usually prefer those websites because Amazon is based here in WA state, so I have to pay sales tax to buy from them...and I'm cheap.)

2. Amazon.com pulls it right up immediately; I didn't even have to go to Amazon.brit or whatever the UK version is (like I did to get your earlier book, The Art of Diving, which I love BTW).

3. Apparently Amazon USA still doesn't keep the book in stock, because their "delivery estimate: April 14, 2008 - May 2, 2008" is 6-8 weeks from now! So if anybody is thinking of getting a copy for a special occasion (e.g., for their own birthday, anniversary, May Day, 4th of July, etc.), they oughtta order it NOW, not wait till the last minute.

4. There isn't a single buyer review of the book on the Amazon listing, so Steve (and others who own it), you ought to take a minute to go enter a review - heck, just cut and paste some of what you posted in this thread! You might help Alex sell a few more copies, enabling him to afford an extra order or two of fish & chips, which he surely needs! :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting my copy - it's not often you are virtually guaranteed to get your money's worth when you buy something, but with Alex's work, I'm confident that is the case!

Edited by bmyates, 01 March 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#28 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:medical doctor and wanabe photographer

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

Wow an incredible honor for you. Thats an impresive list you join. I look forward to seeing the book and getting inspired

#29 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

Thanks guys.

Sorry for not mentioning it on the boat, Bruce. I always try not to go on about these things - but not mentioning it at all is a bit much!

Amazon reviews are always appreciated. :P

Alex

#30 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2987 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

Amazon review posted. :) It takes up to 48 hrs to clear the system before it shows up. First time for me to review anything. Glad I had such a great book for my first time. Now that I think about it maybe I should have left out the part that said "If you don't buy this book you're an #@*&^%" :P

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#31 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:16 AM

Now that I think about it maybe I should have left out the part that said "If you don't buy this book you're an #@*&^%" :P

Thank you!

If any one has any questions about any of the images in the book (or indeed the text) then do post them here.

Alex

#32 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:26 AM

Thank you!

If any one has any questions about any of the images in the book (or indeed the text) then do post them here.

Alex

Thought you would like to know that the book I ordered on the 1st shipped yesterday (the 13th) amazon had said something like 6 weeks or before shipping.)

It was funny because I got the shipping notification email and thought it was weird since I did not remember ordering anything that day. Opened it up and lo and behold, Reefs Revealed :P