#1 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1202 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 05 April 2003 - 09:48 AM

My new girlfriend has a Nikonos V system and SB 103 strobe.

The camera's shutter won't trip, so it looks like some sort of
electronic repair and a good service are necessary. I seem to call
that some snappy members had a favorite repair place to send it to, hopefully on the west coast.

If anyone has any lenses that would fit she might be interested,
particularly macro & W-A.

Also were the SB103 recalled and replaced with the SB105? Does anyone
know the details on this?

TIA,
Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#2 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 05 April 2003 - 12:25 PM

I would recommend you not limit your options by trying to stay on the west coast. UPS isn't that expensive.

I send my Nikonos stuff to Fred Dion at Underwater Phototech. I've been very happy with them.

16 Manning St., Ste. 104
Derry, NH 03038
(603) 432-1997
www.uwphoto.com

I've also brought several Nikonos V's to Pacific Camera in Costa Mesa. I was VERY unhappy with the lack of service I got there. I'll add details if anyone wants to know more.

I've also sent stuff to Southern Nikonos in Texas, and although I wasn't dissatisfied with the quality of service, I didn't like the guy's additude. He acted like it was his lens he was repairing and I had mis-used it somehow. He will read you the riot act if you use a penny instead of a nickel to open your battery compartments. Sorry, but I'm the customer and I don't need that when I'm looking at a couple hundred bucks already.

For the recall info, call the Nikon 800# (I think its 800-645-6678). They will quickly replace the 103 with a brand new 105, provided that its not one of those strobes that had already gone through the system, then got back out on street. That's another topic in itself.

#3 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 05 April 2003 - 04:39 PM

Hi Jack,

It may not be electronic - sudden jolts can affect the linkages preventing the shutter release, or a minor leak in the winder shaft area.

Check ebay for 12mm lenses - These are the dog's - sharper than a sharp thing on a sharp day!

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 07:47 PM

Pacific Camera in Costa Mesa. Have them install their subalert system while you are at it. I believe they have a website. They advertise in Califorina Diving News a lot. Having read the previous post now I have to say I completey dissagree. Southern Nikonos and Pacific camera are by far the best places Iive used. Service, turn around time and cost the best I've had. I've used Pacific Camera for 18 years.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#5 great scott

great scott

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 10:26 PM

I had a very similar experience with Bob at Southern Nikonos. I bought a used Nikonos V, sent it to him for a once over a couple of years ago. Even after I told him I bought it used, he kept ragging on me to take better care of my cameras. After he did the work on my camera, the rubber pieces kept falling off! I just dont think he was that good. I would not send anything back to him. He must have some happy customers since hes still in business. :huh:

Tried Geoffrey Semorile at Camera Tech (http://www.cameratech.com) and was happy with his work and customer service. Ive met the guy from UW Photo Tech at DEMA and liked him too, but don't know his work. :(

Scott

#6 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1202 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 06 April 2003 - 05:44 PM

Thanks gang!

Also had Sub-Aquatic repair in Monterey heavily reccomended. They charge $140 for basic service. Anyone know any pros/cons?

Sudden jolt? Might be, any home repairs? We changed the battery and made sure conatcts are clean.

On the 12mm lens - is that a Nikonos? What's a good price to look for approx? Local swap meet coming up...

What do people think of an extension tube set for a 35mm lens, seems a cheap way for her to get into macro...?

TIA,
Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#7 martys

martys

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, photography

Posted 06 April 2003 - 08:23 PM

I've been using Backscatter in Monterey for years for my Nikonos annual service and repairs.
They're excellent.

Marty
Marty Steinberg - http://martysteinberg.com or http://martys.spaces.live.com
Canon 5D / Canon 10D / Subal C10 / Dual Ike DS125's / ULCS arms

#8 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:52 AM

The 12mm is by Sea & Sea - New price including finder is around $1200.00

These lenses are often available used as they require an apprenticeship beyond that of some people, but worth sticking at because of its unequalled flexibility - focus from dome to infinity at f8!

Check ebay too. Expect to pay 2/3 for an imaculate one. Replacement domes are available & cheap.

Macro tubes are good and cheap - see enc. (A 300 dpi scan from a mobile 1800 dpi 14 bit scanner)

#9 Bad boy

Bad boy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:09 AM

Hey Cybergoldfish,

Amazing shot! Did you take that with Nikonos macro framers? I've never been able to get anemone fish to position in my framer. Great focus and depth of field too. I finally gave up on shots like that and went with a housed 105.

I do love the macro framers. Using them inspired me when I couldn't get any good shots using the 35 as is.

Ben

#10 great scott

great scott

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 11:27 AM

I'm having a tough time believing that shot was taken with a macro framer. Depth of field is broading than anything I've ever seen coming from this set-up, and I have never, ever, ever got a fish like that to come anywhere near a framer (even with hundreds of Nikonos-carrying Pacific dives under my belt). Maybe its a good example of macro, but certainly not a good example of what a Nikonos Macro Frame set-up can do.

Just my opinion

Scott

#11 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:42 AM

Dear Scott,

Being called a liar offends me greatly...

This shot was taken on the evening of 17th October 1997 using an eight year old Nikonos V with a Sea & Sea 1: 2 framer. The film stock was Kodak 25 ASA shot at 1/60 @ f22. My buddy and the whole contingent of divers on the boat will confirm this, plus several thousand who know for a fact that I use exclusively Nikonos V equipment.

I have never owned a housed camera, never needed one!

I have thousands of Nikonos dives under my belt, but from early on I was getting shots like this with framers - perhaps I learned more.

I can show you framer shots I have taken with my MM II that will undoubtedly piss you off too!

#12 great scott

great scott

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:14 AM

Hey Cyber, lighten up! I'm not calling you a lair, just amazed that anyone could get such a great shot with a framer. You are the great and almighty!!

Very sorry to offend you.

Scott

#13 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:36 PM

It didn't read thus, but I will accept the apology and patrony!

The trick with anemome fish (Damsels generally) is to find them out amongst their hosts whilst they are close to sleep... This one in particular was found in a partially closed anemone on Abu Dabab (Since destroyed by COTS) just after dusk, at a depth of 11m. Initially my RED LED caused it to poke out its nose, then it turned slightly into this position - I got shots of both attitudes, the head-on shot making a cover.

A tip when using framers is to cover the base with silver foil to help balance the strobes omni-effect by allowing some light to reflect upwards. 1:2 is a great frame giving over an inch in DOF, and the detail and trueness of color offered by the K25 is unsurpassable.

Framers do have their limitations... anything in mid water or moving or amid habitat, and this is where a housed job comes into its own.