Photo
- - - - -

Got a Tokina 10-17mm, still using the Nikkor 10.5mm?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 wobby

wobby

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:29 AM

Hi All,

Currently using a Nikkor 10.5mm for my WA shots, but after seeing everyones great shots, reviews and comments am looking at buying the Tokina 10-17mm.

Now that the T 10-17mm has been around for a few months I am interested to know how you feel it compares to the N 10.5mm? Still using the N 10.5mm or is it gathering dust? Do you zoom the T 10-17mm much, or find you use it as a fixed lens more? And any general comments about the lens would be appreciated.

Regards

Nigel

Edited by wobby, 31 October 2007 - 02:32 AM.

Digital fisher

#2 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:45 AM

B&H has 4 reviews of this lens, including one from an UW photographer using it in an Aquatica housing.

Just note that this lens is only for DX-sized sensors (and APS :guiness: ), meaning that if you use it for full 24x36mm frame size, you'll get bad vignetting, especially at the short end of the focal length range.

Hi All,

Currently using a Nikkor 10.5mm for my WA shots, but after seeing everyones great shots, reviews and comments am looking at buying the Tokina 10-17mm.

Now that the T 10-17mm has been around for a few months I am interested to know how you feel it compares to the N 10.5mm? Still using the N 10.5mm or is it gathering dust? Do you zoom the T 10-17mm much, or find you use it as a fixed lens more? And any general comments about the lens would be appreciated.

Regards

Nigel

I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

#3 scottleslie

scottleslie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:08 AM

I've got one coming this week and am anxious to try it, as well. Here's a link to a good earlier post/test on this lens on wetpixel by S. Frink: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=19621

Scott
Nova Scotia, CANADA Bay of Fundy: A Natural Portrait, Wetland Birds of North America, Woodland Birds of North America, Seabirds of North America http://www.scottlesliephoto.com

#4 tjgreen

tjgreen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hi All,

Regards

Nigel

I'm still fairly new with it, but here's my $.02. After about 20-25 dives with it, I find I use it at 10 (most often) or 17 (sometimes), but not much in between. I'm using it on a D80, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It even survived being flooded (individual results may vary).
Tim
tjgreen.smugmug.com/underwater

#5 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

As a side note to the Tokina 10-17mm zoom, if you read Stephen Frinks' excellent report you'll see that this lens has nasty chromatic aberration towards the edges.

But! It can be manually corrected in Adobe Camera Raw (if you shoot CCD-RAW). That being said, at this time this lens is not yet supported by DxO Optics Pro, which will automatically correct the CA introduced.

In any case, a Big Thank You is due Stephen for his real-world tests! :guiness:

I've got one coming this week and am anxious to try it, as well. Here's a link to a good earlier post/test on this lens on wetpixel by S. Frink: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=19621

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Dan,

I think the original poster is looking for responses from people who have actually used the two lenses underwater.

Sincerely,
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

Dan,

I think the original poster is looking for responses from people who have actually used the two lenses underwater.

Sincerely,
James Wiseman

Alex has some comparisons in this thread:
http://wetpixel.com/...t...&hl=10-17mm
B)

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:27 AM

I still use the 10.5mm a little, but 9 times out of 10 I use the Tokina. That 1 time is probably only out of loyalty anyway!

I do still travel with the 10.5mm as well as the 10-17mm because I like to use it attached to my 1.5x teleconverter to create specific shots.

I imagine most people use the Tok 10-17mm like I do. Leave it on 10mm and shoot it like the 10.5mm - only zooming in when required. One comment I'd make is that although the 10-17mm offers amazing flexibility it can be a pain to switch your lighting around for the different types of images it can create.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#9 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:07 AM

James,

I was merely expanding on the test data Stephen Frinks acquired in re chromatic aberration; and how to deal with it in software.

Dan,

Sincerely,
James Wiseman

#10 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:08 AM

I have both. I've used the 10.5 for years. But I now prefer the 10-17 because I shoot a lot of people that don't always cooperate e.g. arms out at last moment and I also like to shoot an occasional turtle or shark or just a fish ... sometimes at the 17 end. My concern was about ease of getting focus lock but it turns out that the 10-17 is as good as the 10.5 .... at least it is for me.
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery

#11 scottleslie

scottleslie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:10 AM

I still use the 10.5mm a little, but 9 times out of 10 I use the Tokina. That 1 time is probably only out of loyalty anyway!

I do still travel with the 10.5mm as well as the 10-17mm because I like to use it attached to my 1.5x teleconverter to create specific shots.

I imagine most people use the Tok 10-17mm like I do. Leave it on 10mm and shoot it like the 10.5mm - only zooming in when required. One comment I'd make is that although the 10-17mm offers amazing flexibility it can be a pain to switch your lighting around for the different types of images it can create.

Alex

I take it you're referring to the 10.5 and the TC, but is 1.4x TC use possible with the 10-17mm?

Edited by scottleslie, 01 November 2007 - 05:11 AM.

Nova Scotia, CANADA Bay of Fundy: A Natural Portrait, Wetland Birds of North America, Woodland Birds of North America, Seabirds of North America http://www.scottlesliephoto.com

#12 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

The 10-17 will take a 1.4x Kenko/Tamron converter (at least for Nikon mount). How well it autofocuses I don't know, but I have taken test shots with that configuration.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

I have shot the Tokina on my TC underwater - it is OK, but as it is a slower lens than the 10.5mm, when used on a TC the AF does suffer a bit. Also, I was not able to use the zoom without modifying a zoom gear - so that benefit was lost too.

Here is one of the shots with the Tokina 10-17mm + 1.5x TC. The fisheye was zoomed to the 17mm end:
Posted Image
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#14 wobby

wobby

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Will be placing my order for the Tokina 10-17mm, and from the sound of it will eventually sell the Nikkor 10.5mm due to lack of use.

All the best

Nigel
Digital fisher

#15 aczyzyk

aczyzyk

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

That being said, at this time this lens is not yet supported by DxO Optics Pro

Actually, it is supported (D80 and D200 not for D70).

I love my 10.5 but I would like to have something narrower as well. I thought about getting 16mm as it goes into the same 6" Ikelite port. But it seems to makes more sense to get the Tokina to replace both 10.5 and 16), right?

Does anybody have experience with it behind Ikelite 6" dome?
Is there a chance to fit it inside 10.5 port? I guess I know the answers, but I don't like it...
Andrzej Czyzyk

www.flickr.com/photos/czyzyk/
D200, Sea&Sea DX-D200, Nikkor 10.5, Nikkor 105 VR, Tokina 12-24, 2xDS-125

#16 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:30 AM

Alex, I'm excited to see that you shot the combination underwater. I'm interested to see how well it works with the D3. :)
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#17 Seaboy

Seaboy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:57 AM

Hi,

I've been using both for the last 3 month.

What I please more on the 10-17 is the ability to narrow a bit when I find other divers on the corners...

The 10-17 is a bit slower to focus when there is not enough light.

Sometimes, when changing from 10-17 to 10.5mm, I forget the extension ring and mount the 10.5mm with it... :)

#18 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:47 AM

I stand corrected -- They (DxO) lists it as Tokina AT-X 107 DX fisheye.

Dr. Mustard shot it with a TC above, which pretty well negates the Optics Pro presets. :)

Actually, it is supported (D80 and D200 not for D70).

#19 jkane

jkane

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

Does anybody have experience using the 10-17 behind a Nexus dome? I know that Nexus offers a dome designed for the 10-17, but I'm curious how well that dome or other Nexus domes perform with the 10-17 and whether or not extensions are needed. Thanks.

#20 Lasse

Lasse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:10 AM

Does anybody have experience using the 10-17 behind a Nexus dome? I know that Nexus offers a dome designed for the 10-17, but I'm curious how well that dome or other Nexus domes perform with the 10-17 and whether or not extensions are needed. Thanks.

I am using the 10-17 behind a 160 nexus dome. I am using the same dome for the 10,5. It works perfect. I have a Nexus D200 housing and im also using zoom gear for the 10-17