6 replies to this topic

#1 vincentkneefel

vincentkneefel

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

For the last 2 weeks I was forced to spend some time in one of the ugliest and most polluted cities in Mexico (Monterrey) to finish some boring schoolstuff and write some exams.

The bright side of it was, that I finally got some time to explore the 'archives' of wetpixels (all the very interesting and amusable topics that were discussed over the years).

I must say, that for a beginner like me that is very keen on learning more about U/W photography, wetpixel is like a candy store ;) I haven't found any other source that is as comprehensive as these forums, with great experts contributing their knowledge to topics and discussions (it is like Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and other pros telling you everything they know about playing golf).

Wetpixel staff might want to consider bundling all this knowledge in the Wetpixel Encyclopedia of Underwater Photography some day :guiness:

I just want to thank you all for sharing your information and I hope to learn a lot more from all of you in the future.

Now off to Cocos,
Cheers

Vincent
Vincent Kneefel - Website
Seacam for Canon 1ds Mark II, 15mm FE, 17-40mm, 100mm Macro

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:30 AM

Great suggestion, Vincent.

I certainly agree it would be very useful to have more of the best information in some of the older discussions more easily available.

We tried it before with the Best Of Wetpixel section - although I don't think this really worked - as people complained it was full of old threads!

So suggestions are most gratefully received.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:06 AM

We're probably going to have to get some volunteers to create a will-moderated Wiki.

... and we'll probably move the "Best of" posts back into their respective categories. :guiness:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:53 AM

I will be happy to help with this.

I would like to see useful reference information on lenses and ports (notably wide angle). Same could be done with strobes (controversially), perhaps strobe arms, TTL/housing/strobe compatibility, etc.

Ordinarily, it would be the content that would require the most work, but in this case it may be the integration with the site.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:52 AM

How about adding keywords to threads to assist with sorting and searching.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 tjgreen

tjgreen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:30 AM

We're probably going to have to get some volunteers to create a will-moderated Wiki.

... and we'll probably move the "Best of" posts back into their respective categories. :)

That's an awesome idea. Count me in. I already have an idea for an article - I consider myself something of an expert on how to blow the shot underwater, having practiced a great deal.

No seriously, would like to help if I can.

If interested, here's a site on creating/driving adoption of wikis. Wikipatterns

Edited by tjgreen, 01 November 2007 - 10:26 AM.

Tim
tjgreen.smugmug.com/underwater

#7 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

We discussed a Wiki (for Critter ID) a while ago http://wetpixel.com/...t...593&hl=wiki

I guess it has similar problems. But a quick google search says you can implement it with expression engine (pMachine) which isn't that what WP uses ? http://www.ennovy.or...wiki/index.html

The thing I guess then is how much work needs to be done to atler how it works. I imagine for a database of Best Of threads and Articles on Techniques etc would be fairly simple.
As mentioned in the Critter thread that would probably be harder to implement but IMO equally as useful.

As for the search on this forum I find it works pretty good, particularly when searching for something you read in the past, I imagine searching without knowing what has been talked about it's not as easy. I normally remember a keyword and a author which really lowers the topic list down.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks