• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 02:55 AM

Any suggestions for diving in Curacao. I'll be going for two weeks in August/September. Also looking for restaurant suggestions. Thanks TedJ

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#2 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 12:07 PM

Where will you be staying? I did a week at Habitat Curacao two years ago and enjoyed it. Their operation is pretty far removed from town, though . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#3 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 12:12 PM

I'll be one week at the former Princess Beach, now Breezes and one week at the Sheraton. Any suggestions for dive sites and operators would be appreciated! Thanks TedJ

Ted Janssen

#4 gofigure?

gofigure?

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 07:14 AM

Breezes has their own dive operators and check them out first as convenience will be on your side. Stayed tehre just after the transition and was VERY disappointed. But having done 8-9 sandals/breezes in the past, they've really made a marked improvement. Will be there for a day visit in May, want feedback?

The Sheraton looks nice but not stayed there. While in town, you can dive with Ocean Encounters. Check out there web :http://www.oceanencounters.com

DO make a trip up to Habitat, be staying there in MAy for teh 3rd time. Isolated, but quite that way. BIG difference on weather, wind, wave action from that point to the north for diving. In the south in Willemstad, you'll notice the waves and wind. Take precaustions. Advantages in the south, Superior Producer/tug wrecks. Car pile good for nooks and cranny diving. Would be great if you can get over to Klein Curacao, more pristine and bigger schools of fish!

From Habitat, great house reef again. Nitrox, air, 24hrs. Try a rebreather or two. Dive there for like $20-$25 unlimited for the day, add another $40 for 2 tank dives (check current prices, but I believe still accurate).

Then go to the north, mushroom forest has good variety, calm and fun scapes. Seldom and Lost Anchor have the frog fish and sea horses. The pregnant males are usually at Seldom. Black, Yellow, Red, Orange, you name it.

If you can get waaaayyyy.....up north, really awesome diving and worth the bum bruising ride!

Along town there's some good restaurants along the water! Mexican and Italian my faves there. Take a tour of the brewery. Also, near the desalination plant is a good Thai restaurant for variety.

Renting a car is easy and getting around is no problem. Hope this helps. Have fun!

#5 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 07:21 AM

Will be there for a day visit in May, want feedback?

Thanks very much. I'd love to hear an update since I've never been there before (either Curacao or a Breezes). Ted

Ted Janssen

#6 gofigure?

gofigure?

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 07:40 AM

I'd send out road maps and stuff for ya, but I've packed them??? ...it's easy to find at the airport. Willemstad is a 20min (approx) drive from the airport.

At Breezes, there's 3 restaurants and lots of fun toys like most all-inclusives. The Japanese restaurant isn't bad either for a night of open-air flat grilling in front of you. Lots of Venezualan guests there to practice your Spanish with.

At Breezes, a break wall keeps the beach calm as can be, but you can swim around or climb over (watch slippery rocks) and there's a nice wall out front to snorkel/dive around. Hobie and Sunfish sailboats there for your play fun, but the waterports staff definitety leaves asap once that end of work bell chimes for them. For activites, plan to make the most of it during the hours set aside for them, after that your on your own.

The island is longer than Bonaire though has the same colored stones for shore diving. Though, some areas you want to go from the public beaches and plan on a little bit of a surface swim to the site, as the cliffs make the entries well spread out along the coast.

Will try to get more info when I get a chance.