9 replies to this topic

#1 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:48 AM

I am heading to PNG in a few weeks and have about an 8 hour layover in Port Moresby on each end.

After reading a post from two years ago, it doesn't look like it's a very nice place to spend any time, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations on how to kill time on the layover.

Is it possible to arrange any kind of day trip from the airport? Or, maybe just a decent hotel to crash in instead of staying at the airport?
Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries

#2 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:18 AM

The Travel Lodge is a good option - airconditioned, good food and cold beer.
They have a airport courtesy coach so a "door to door" experience is possible.

I am heading to PNG in a few weeks and have about an 8 hour layover in Port Moresby on each end.

After reading a post from two years ago, it doesn't look like it's a very nice place to spend any time, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations on how to kill time on the layover.

Is it possible to arrange any kind of day trip from the airport? Or, maybe just a decent hotel to crash in instead of staying at the airport?

#3 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:42 AM

They can take you to the Airways Hotel. Great place and they can store your baggage while you sit in the open bar with a view of the aiport. Airways also has a coffee shop/deli. Catch the shuttle from the airport. They have a counter at the airport to contact.

You can also go to PNG Arts and ask for Ken. They are warehouse size with artifacts from all over. Tell him Todd from Canada sent you as he is a great help.

We were just there 3 weeks ago
Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#4 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:29 AM

I second Airways hotel. Very easy transport to/from hotel, they take care of your luggage, nice bars and restaurants. Pool if you want to. Just a place to hang out and relax for a bit. Most expats I talked to in PNG used it when traveling, and the hotel seems almost geared to it.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#5 gecko1

gecko1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

The Airways Hotel is great. Right close the airport with a nice view of the runway so you can watch the planes take off and land. The restaurants are good and the they even have a spa where you can get a massage. Just the thing after a long flight.

Clinton

Nikon D800, Nauticam Housing, Sigma 15 FE, Nikkor 17-35,105 VR Micro, 2x YS-350, ULCS arms, LMI Sola 800 Photo, Macromate

http://www.baue.org

http://metridium.com

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

Airways is great except on a Sunday where many expats bring their kids to swim in the pool. Travel Lodge is also good for that. It becomes crowded and noisy and forces you to retreat to the pool.
The food at the Airways is decent but if you want something different, Restaurant 168 on the road across town to Boroka has nice Malaysian and Indian cuisine.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

Definitely go to PNG Arts. The artifacts are amazing and very reasonably priced. You can have the stuff shipped back and you will get everything you bought. However, make sure you insure the shipping. Lately they are using DSL for transport. My last time shipping with them saw 7 of the 13 artifacts broken, and they did not insure the crate!! Luckily, all were repaired, but still lower in value. They told me that they don't "automatically" insure goods. My house, after many trips to PNG (and PNG Arts) looks like a Papua museum.

Edited by AllisonFinch, 07 November 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#8 docrobina

docrobina

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

In addition to the options already posted, including the PNG Arts store, you might want to hire a tour of Port Moresby as I did several years ago. The driver took me around, including the coastline near his village, the arts store and to the open market. I felt very safe as he kept an eye out for the "rascals" out and about.
On other long layovers, I have gone to Loloata Resort for lunch. About 45 minutes to and from, including boat ride. Can sit at beach area, have a beer and a nice lunch in a safe place away from the city.
Have a nice trip!

#9 caymaniac

caymaniac

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, nature, skiing - all types, underwater photo., travel, boating.

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

Yes on the Loloata thing, I've stayed a few nights and dove there, it's 45min. away (from the airport), safe - there are small kangaroos that run wild on the Island, and the food was decent.

Attached Images

• File00119.jpg
  • File0091.jpg
  • File00121.jpg
  • File00122.jpg

#10 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:32 AM

Do not, I repeat, do not go to the PNG Botanical Gardens in Port Morseby. I was in PNG in March 2007 in the southern highlands as well as diving in Milne Bay. I had some lay-over time in Port Morseby and was told that the biotanical gardens were a must see. HOW WRONG WAS THIS SUGGESTION!! These 'gardens' have animals stuffed behind bars and collapsing wood walkway planks. I doubt there has been a gardener in these gardens in the last decade or so. On the good side, diving PNG was fantastic!!!