5 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

Hey guys. I was wondering if any of you are FileMaker Pro experts out there. I'm looking to contract someone to design a modern, best-of-practice contact database (empty) for FileMaker Pro 9. This is for Wetpixel. We need to get organized in the back end. :)
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

Eric,
I run my practice on Filemaker. Usually I do the basics myself, and then when I run into difficult stuff I have a Filemaker local uberguru take care of it.
Jeff
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hey Eric,

How detailed are we talking about here?

I've setup the sales database for my team's "Daily Dive DVD's" in a nice simple format..... and feel confident that I could do similar stuff elsewhere....

Just depends on some other factors, I guess.... difficulty, time involved etc.....

Hang on, I reckon that my template MAY, pretty-much, with a little tweeking here and there be just what you need.....

what info are you wanting to store and what functions will it then need to perform....

This is for WetPixel? Does that mean that behind all this glorious surface sheen, there's an (gasp) Apple Mac running the show? ;) :) :(

Let me know, eh?

Chris

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:44 PM

Hey, Chris and Jeff -

Thanks for your emails! I knew there was great knowledge on this board. :)

Jeff has volunteered to help us out for now. Chris -- may ask you for some advice, though.

The Wetpixel server is a plain ol' dual-CPU Dell server, but the work on the back-end goes on using Macs. That is, unless Matt or I put up thumbnailed photos in an article. We use Breezebrowser for that, which is PC-only. :(
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#5 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

available for advice anytime you may need, mate...

not a rhetorical question - but couldn't the lowly iPhoto give you an equivalent option as Breezebrowser?

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

Nope! BB has custom fields that you can enter (per session) when you're generating HTML from templates. It's very cool.

But all of this is outdated, anyway. I'm going to switch to an XML-driven gallery system at some point, which will work out better (no HTML, and I can shove all the images into the same directory, eliminating the need for that custom field).
eric cheng
www | journal | photos