• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:40 PM

One moment please, stop this thread! 50-60 Mantas ??
Jing, Can you give more details? Whereexaclly? resort or live aboard? Dates?
I hope to be there in the near future, last time we sow few of the creatures but one here one there...
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#22 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

There are a lot of dive sites where you get between 1-5 mantas in summer months (June to Sept) along eastern side of the atolls, but the one I was referring to was Hanifaru in Baa atoll (east side). Most of the resorts at Baa atoll dive that site regularly. Liveaboards also know that site (you just need to make sure that the boat is going to Baa atoll, since most boats do South Male and Ari Atoll).

The site is quite unusual, has sandy bottom and when the current is right it traps a huge amount of plankton you get a manta feeding frenzy. This year in September they had 5 whale sharks together there as well. The only problem is the plankton is so dense that the water is like soup - very difficult to take photos and videos. I am attaching a very crappy photo just with a point and shoot with a wide angle attachment just to show 13-14 of them together - but it's like that 360 degrees around you. It is an awesome sight as they somersaut around you for the entire 80 minutes we stay in the water. After that we throw all our gears on board and go snorkelling with them.

I have also seen over 10 mantas on one dive at Lankan Manta point in south of north Male atoll. I am sure there are other dive sites like this around Maldives, Serge might be able to help since he is based out there.

mantas.jpg

Jing

#23 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

Glad to see my thread has taken on a life of its own.

Looking forward to reading any more info from others in the know - this is still very definitely on the list for future adventures. :)
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#24 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:11 AM

just as a little update: season changed a little late this year. mantas were still a odd encounter in the middle of the atoll these weeks. now the current has changed ann is outrunning on the west side.

this morning i've seen the first rays standing in the current on top of the reef (instead of just passing by like the last weeks) ... so they start gathering in the channels from now on.

in other words: season is starting.

i will update this thread :blush:

Edited by serge, 20 December 2007 - 01:12 AM.

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
http://nadlembehresort.wordpress.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam

#25 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:22 AM

ah, rub it in Serge. Will be in the Maldives in 48 hrs, but sadly not on Ari Atoll...

Just noticed that it will be a full moon this weekend. Does that mean anything in terms of Mantas? I keep vaguely remembering that mantas tend to be more active before or after a full moon?

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#26 serge

serge

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

then have a good trip and lot's of good shots!

where is it now, that you're going to? (sorry if i missed that somewhere in this thread)

full moon is good, yes. more tidal movement (=current). more plankton growth.

www.serge-mondial.com
www.nad-lembeh.com
http://nadlembehresort.wordpress.com
EOS 7D / Nauticam

#27 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:37 AM

Serge, in the end we could only get a room at Full Moon Resort as my travel agent screwed up getting a reservation at Banyan Tree.

Well at least the Eurodiver shop at the resort sounds like they are willing to take divers out to some of the better spots on N. Male Atoll...

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#28 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:23 AM

I will do a Live Aboard trip the week from 14 januari (3 weeks from now :-) on the boat GAAVIYA , after that we are going for another week to Royal Island what is north of Male so no Manta's there now i think?
But we hope to see the first week enough of them :-)
GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging