• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BurBunny

BurBunny

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Anything in, on or under water! Travel agent.

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:10 AM

Comparing these two boats and itineraries, anyone have input to help the decision making? Pros and cons for either, especially ease of access to/from dive deck to the tenders, comfort, itineraries - any factors to take into consideration?

Looking for a nice mix of macro and WA, easy on the currents.

Know this is choosing between two wonderful options, which makes it more difficult to compare and contrast. Any assistance welcomed!
-Amber

#2 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:31 AM

I can't comment on the boats as I have not been on either but in terms of currents, expect some. Part why Raja Ampat is as good as it is, is because of the currents and therefore, you will encounter them. Guides and boats that are knowledgeable in the conditions can help to reduce their impact by timing the dives well.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:25 AM

Amber
The Archipelago Adventurer II is the more luxurious of the 2. I haven't been on a cruise myself but saw the boat when it was being refitted. I can say they now have great camera tables (Design influenced by Drew :wacko:).
The Seahorse is one of the first boats who surveyed the Kaimana/Triton Bay area. Quite a few of the WP staff have been on the boat. Please search the forum for feedback on the boat.
I just returned from the Triton/Kaimana area on another boat, doing a similar route (except I started in Ambon). The area's top dive sites are pretty much current dependent. A few dive sites are not and good for macro. There are plenty of sites along the way to Sorong where there is little current and great macro. Unless you are in control of the intinerary, I'm sure the cruise director will be aware to not have 4 knots currents on every dive. Visibility isn't always the best in Triton/Kaimana area.
Raja Empat has some amazing reef sites which as Todd says is VERY current dependent.
I would say you'd get a slightly better variety of diving doing Kaimana-Sorong but the better diving overall is in Raja due to the proximity of great dive sites. Visibility will definitely be more consistent in Raja Empat. You should have fun on either itinerary.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:50 AM

I know a couple of people who have been on the AE II and think it is a great boat. I met the guys who run it at DEMA.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#5 BurBunny

BurBunny

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Anything in, on or under water! Travel agent.

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the input. I know that in the past, Seahorse was very good about being aware of tides, current, moon cycles and planned and dropped accordingly, but wasn't sure if that was still the case, nor if the AII matched dive service to her luxurious accommodations.
-Amber