• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donauw

donauw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 02:39 PM

Subal now has a housing for the SB80DX strobe - which will allow "TTL" with the Nikon D100. Has anyone had experience with this strobe underwater? Is it worth the $$$ (and the hassle of either getting new synch cables or taping over contacts when using other strobes)?

Regards,

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 02:56 PM

Hi Don,

Alex Mustard is using that exact same setup with his D100. He is in Grand Cayman, but hopefully he will respond when he gets a chance.

I have tried using a housed SB28DX with my S2pro and it works great for macro. I don't have a D100 though.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 08:01 PM

I am using Subal's old tubular black plastic flash housing, which was originally developed for the SB24 and SB26 but also fits the SB28 and SB80DX! There are quite a few available on the second hand market (in the UK, at least).

I guess, Don, that you are referring to the new SN80 housing? I haven't seen it yet. But have heard it offers full control over the flash.

My housing offers no control over the flash and you have to remember to switch it on before the dive.

I have found that DTTL works really well. Used it to shoot 70 keeper shots of fish on this afternoon's dive with Sigma 28-70mm.

So in short the kit works. But TTL is not essential (as we all know) for digital. But I have to say that given the option, I much prefer it.

You can judge the results from today at

http://homepage.mac....stardoni/<br />

Alex

Be aware that once you wire a D100 or D1 housing for DTTL it will not let you fire Nikonos guns (even in manual)!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).