5 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hey guys. I met Alex Kirkbride at DEMA and saw his new book, "American Waters", which is one of the most innovative underwater photography books I've ever seen. If you're near London, you'd be foolish not to go to see his upcoming exhibition.

Posted Image

I'm tempted to fly there just to see it!

Work from award-winning photographer Alex Kirkbride's book "American Waters" will be featured in the first photographic exhibition at Plus One Gallery, located in London. Containing images from all fifty American states, the book was created over a three-year period, during which Kirkbride traveled 108,000 miles and entered the water 945 times to "capture images expressive of American water from coast to coast."

With a private viewing on December 4, 2007, the exhibit opens to the public on December 5, 2007, and runs through January 5, 2008.

Full press release:
http://wetpixel.com/...us-one-gallery/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:19 AM

I'd pay just to see you flapping your arms crossing the Atlantic...

Now that would be something.... :rolleyes:

I'd fly there...He,he...your such a kidder Cheng

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

Eric Hanauer has just reviewed the book:

If you are anything like me, your bookshelves are sagging under the weight of too many underwater coffee table books. So why should we bother with another one? Well, Alex Kirkbride’s American Waters is different. His novel concept: travel throughout the 50 United States and photograph at least one water feature in each state. He’s from Britain, so he would be looking at our waters through the eyes of a foreign visitor. It’s a great idea; I wish I’d thought of it. But brainstorming ideas is easy; executing them is hard. And Kirkbride’s execution is, for the most part, brilliant.

Alex’s journey encompassed three years, and 945 dives, in venues ranging from a cattle trough in Kansas to the open ocean off Hawaii. He and Hazel, his wife to be, towed an Airstream trailer for 108,000 miles around the country. Along the way, they encountered rain and snow, flat tires, an ice storm, and hurricanes. Among their most difficult operations was backing the giant rig into tight parking spaces...

Full review:
http://wetpixel.com/...alex-kirkbride/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

Eric Hanauer has just reviewed the book:
Full review:
http://wetpixel.com/...alex-kirkbride/

I too was very impressed with Alex' book, not only the images but the dedication it took to devote so much time and effort to the project. I also enjoyed the whimsical nature of the text. With some of the locales chosen you'd have to approach it with a sense of humor, which is very nicely communicated. All in all, it is a terrific addition to the bookshelf of any UW photo enthusiast, or for that matter anyone who wants a more intimate view of these 50 United States.

Nicely done Alex ... and thanks to Eric Hanauer for such a tasteful review.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#5 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:29 AM

A huge congratulations to Alex!

I had the pleasure of diving with Alex on FeBrina in PNG in 2002 when he was still early on in this project, and he showed us several of the shots he had taken up to that point. I particularly remember his description of taking over-unders in NYC by lying in the gutter in the rain with his uw housed camera partly submerged in a mud-puddle...and the reaction of passers-by! :blush:

This book was truly a labor of love and near-obsession for Alex, and I'm delighted to see that he's finally finished it! Can't wait to get a copy!

Watching Alex work and seeing his photos truly inspired me to try become a real uw photographer. Here's a shot of Alex himself shooting wide angle in PNG (pardon the poor image quality - I had a crappy camera and no skills back then):

Attached Images

• Alex___jacks.jpg

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#6 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:23 AM

BTW, this is a PERFECT Christmas gift idea for diver friends. It's available at Amazon for $19.80 and even with 2-day shipping, that's less than the $30 MSRP! I just ordered 5 copies! :blush:

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields