• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaveH

DaveH

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 03:48 PM

I intend to house my Fuji S2 and need advice about housing options. I have prevously used Nikon 601/Ikelite MD, F4/Aquatica, Canon G2/Ikelite, and Nikon RS setups, so I am somewhat familiar with the characteristics of these combinations. I have no experience with other housing manufacturers but would like to learn about them before making another housing purchase.

I do a lot of Macro shooting, and have enjoyed using 2X multipliers in the past. Any advice about housing options would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave Harrison

#2 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 06:49 PM

Right now there is only one real option on the market - and that is the Ikelite housing. Well priced and reasonable quality. It is a little bulky, and it has it faults, but over all a really nice housing that I have had great success with.

Seacam released a housing, but availability is debatable (expect 3 months lead time minimum for delivery, possibly more). Also we are talking huge $$$ - $3000+ for the housing alone. It is a piece of art posing as a housing. High quality, optical glass ports ($1000 for a dome port), but unreasonable for digital when you could consider the speed things upgrade. Could justify it for film when it was likely I could use the housing for a few years, but not when I expect to upgrade within a year or two.

There is at least two or three housings not too far away. Aquatica is getting closer from all reports and is defineltly making a housing and there is still rumours that maybe Subal or Nexus may still make a housing.

The Sea & Sea housing will be no better than the Ikelite, but will have a larger price tag, so unless you already have Sea & Sea ports I would probably avoid it.

So in the end it depends on your timing. If you need something now, Ikelite is the way to go IMHO. If you have time to wait, then the choices are wider. Love the camera, like the Ikelite housing. I will be investigating each new option as it becomes available to see if it is worth the upgrade.

And if you are rich you can own a Seacam (perhaps)

If you have any questions, let me know.

M

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:34 AM

If you've been using an F4/Aquatica then any other housing will seem small...:-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 handlerphoto

handlerphoto

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:29 PM

On housing the S2.....
Aquatica is defenitely the forerunner in the aluminum housing department.
They will be showcasing the prototype at Our World Underwater in Chicago this comming 25.26.27 April.
I will then review the complete package and as always post it first here on the wetpixel site.
Regarding pricing: It will be more or less the same as the AD100 - $1895 for the housing and $350 for the 8" port....again their price for value will be unmatched...

Any questions?
Contact me off list: mauricio@handlerphoto.com

All the best
� Handlerphoto
Photo Workshops & expeditions/ Housing Sales & Support
www.handlerphoto.com
mauricio@handlerphoto.com

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:38 PM

Now you can try out the TTL Mauricio...:-)

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:28 AM

If you've been using an F4/Aquatica then any other housing will seem small...:-)

Cheers
James

I see Mauricio was here, but missed the opportunity to point out to James that an f4/Aquatica is a baby when compared to a RZ67/Aquatica :)
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:34 AM

I've seen some of Drew's photos of Mauricio with that big Aquatica housing. It's as big (bigger) than a basketball!!!!

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#8 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:53 AM

Looky here. That's leaving out the HD video cameras. Then there's IMAX.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries