• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nicholasmo

nicholasmo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 09:17 PM

Your suggestions please. I live in Singapore, so only destinations in SE asia.
Already been to West Malaysia a few times, and have done the Barrier reef.

Current top choices are Sipadan or Palau (or Maldives even), but which should I choose?

Thanks in advance

Nick

#2 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:47 PM

Sipadan is pretty good still, but I strongly recommend you make the trip to Sangalaki/Kakaban Islands for some amazing marinelife encounters such as those with the resident Manta. Both classic reef and wall diving as well as a jelly fish lake. Think about Manado area to Senghe and Lembeh too. I am running a charter in September/October to Manado if you are interested - The diversity of life there is just amazing!

Drop me a message for more info should you wish it.

#3 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 17 April 2003 - 03:16 PM

I was just typing in a recommendation for Manado also. Its only a short flight from where you are. Fantastic diving at Bunaken National Park and around Bangka Island. I spent about a month there, most my time at Hotel Santika and Thalassa Dive Center. Although I did check out many of the other operators there, I found these guys to be the best dive operation and accommodations on the Bunaken side. Definitely the best diving for the buck. They do trips to Lembeh also and have a small live-aboard if you want to do muliple day trips up to the Northern islands that are nothing short of FANTASTIC!

Palau is also amazing but significantly more expensive. Well worth the trip though!

#4 Paste

Paste

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 12:56 AM

I'd have to recommend Pulau Weh, off the north tip of Sumatra. I'm going for the third time in July. The diving is amazing, accomodation and diving is cheap. A boat dive is $16 (if you do more than 6 dives) incl all equipment. The house reef is not bad at all.

There are two beaches, Iboih and Gapang. I've stayed and dived at the latter, the divecenter is called Lumba Lumba, run by a very friendly dutch couple (web page www.pulauweh.com - don't be fooled by the crappy design of the web page :D). I suggest you email them and ask them about whatever you want to know. They are also more than happy to help you with flight schedules and such.

You can fly from Singapore to Medan and then on to Banda Aceh ($40), and on tuesdays and thursdays there is a SMAC flight to Pulau Weh ($7). So it's only a couple of hours from Singapore.

Although there has been some fighting between the separist movement and the indonesian army in Aceh, Pulau Weh has always been safe.

It's really a nice place, and the diving is spectacular. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Paul, Sweden

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 24 April 2003 - 02:10 AM

I'll be in Singapore for a few days in early June if anyone wants to get together for a Guiness in the irish Pub near Tanjong Pagar... I will be staying with Andy Lok of Diver City (International Plaza Anson Rd).

#6 dolphine

dolphine

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:00 PM

You can visit the wreck in Tulamben (Bali - Indonesia), all dives will be from the sand-less shore. Great place for Macro shots. Btw, if I am not wrong, currently there is a promotion from Silk air to Manado from Singapore, just ask around.

You also can go to west australia (exmouth) and dive the Point Murat Navy Pier, this place is packed with marine life, a lot of sharks, 1+ meter queensland groupas, octopus etc etc etc, amazing place although it is a bit eerie to me.

#7 nicholasmo

nicholasmo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for all your replies. Seems like there are too many places, it's going to take me years...........