• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sailfish86

sailfish86

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

6:00 pm local time, British Virgin Islands, 20 December 2007.

The remnants of man who went diving with his immediate family yesterday were found today.

When members of VISAR arrived on scene today, they came upon a man's body missing the arms. Shortly thereafter, all that was recovered was a leg...

Two 15' Tiger Sharks were interrupted by the searchers as attempts were made to recover the father's body.

Initial reports are thus: While diving at Green Cay, BVI (some 100 yards to the east of Little Jost Van Dyck), the 4 family members became separated, the two teenage children returned to the boat where they could see the father on the surface attempting to make his way back. He was then lost from sight.

As details are just coming apparent, today's search turned up just the man's leg and the report of the sharks. No other news is available as yet.

Tiger sharks are known to be prevalent in BVI waters but in deeper water lying north and south of the main islands.

PS, for answers to questions regarding diving in the BVI, post here...

I have been diving/sailing/captaining in BVI since 1991 and will try to help/answer the best way I can.

Edited for inappropriate content by Moderator

#2 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

6:00 pm local time, British Virgin Islands, 20 December 2007.

The remnants of man who went diving with his immediate family yesterday were found today.

When members of VISAR arrived on scene today, they came upon a man's body missing the arms. Shortly thereafter, all that was recovered was a leg...

Two 15' Tiger Sharks were interrupted by the searchers as attempts were made to recover the father's body.

Initial reports are thus: While diving at Green Cay, BVI (some 100 yards to the east of Little Jost Van Dyck), the 4 family members became separated, the two teenage children returned to the boat where they could see the father on the surface attempting to make his way back. He was then lost from sight.

As details are just coming apparent, today's search turned up just the man's leg and the report of the sharks. No other news is available as yet.

Tiger sharks are known to be prevalent in BVI waters but in deeper water lying north and south of the main islands.

PS, for answers to questions regarding diving in the BVI, post here...

I have been diving/sailing/captaining in BVI since 1991 and will try to help/answer the best way I can.

Edited for inappropriate content by Moderator

Are you trying to advertise for business on the back of a family tradgedy? :)

Can i hire you please? Then if i die you can post about it on the internet to gain more business?

sorry if that comes across as me being a troll, its not meant in that way...

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#3 rickcavanaugh

rickcavanaugh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

Was this been between the cut on the northside? Currents are wicked there. Hard to believe anyone can get separated by green cay, swim 10 ft and get on someone else's boat.

I have sailed the BVI at least 10 times and dove there many times, never seen a shark. Sounds like very bad and very odd luck.

This didn't happen around Bambas full moon party?
www.scubatripreview.com
www.rickcavanaugh.com

#4 sailfish86

sailfish86

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hey, Rick...

I apologize if my post seemed like an attempt to exploit the family's plight. Not intended as such.

Anyway, yes the dive was just to the north of the cut b/t Green Cay and Little Jost. I've been diving there dozens of times and never had the current you may have experienced. My feeling was the vis was low and the surge from the north swell (minor on that day, but present) made this an advanced dive that day.

Too bad you never caught up with any sharks! The north side is marginally better than the south for chances to see a shark. That said, at Angel Fish Reef (west end of Norman Island) we had a fantastic shark sighting today: 2 reef sharks together, one smallish (less than 4 feet) and one LARGE (at least 7 feet verified by another dive instructor with 4,000 dives and several of our weekend local/regular divers).

Together with a turtle, southern rays, an eagle ray, and a burr fish, Angel Fish Reef was happening today.

At Kelly's Cove (small bay outside the Bight), the Golden Phase Coney still lingers. Two Spotted Morays and 5 out of our 7 Hamlets...

I'd like to keep this forum open for anyone with BVI diving questions, comments.

#5 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

To be clear ... it sounds like the poor man drowned and the tiger sharks came upon him later ... at least that's what I read somewhere else ...

I'd love clarification as I've never heard of a diver being killed by a tiger shark - not saying it hasn't happened ... just never heard of such an incident ...
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#6 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hey, Rick...

I apologize if my post seemed like an attempt to exploit the family's plight. Not intended as such.

<snip>

I'd like to keep this forum open for anyone with BVI diving questions, comments.

If you please, start another thread for BVI discussions. It seems awfully, well, awful, to start a thread with something like this poor man's death and then ask keep the thread open so you can entertain people's vacation questions. Just my opinion . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.