21 replies to this topic

#21 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:58 PM

Found this at the Fremantle (PERTH) docks on our way to ROTTO the other day.

Could it be a back up harpoon vessel in disguise?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unlikely IMHO. I would expect a better lookout and a re-enforced harpoon platform. But I could be wrong.

Further I would like to add that I agree on everything said here. It' sad that we have to always learn the hard way. Here in Norway we have only one piece of good news. The herring is back to pre 60ties levels. It's my hope that the amazing amount of herring larvae produced with such an amazingly high stock will help the atlantic cod back on its feet in the Norwgian sea. The North sea as you might know is a disaster in regard to the cod fisheries. It will take decades to recover.

I hope stricter regulations will be enforced on fish stocks, as per the moment i think people with money have too much power too many places in this world (lobbies etc..) .

Espen.
Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#22 Montague

Montague

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

Does anybody know if any Japanese companies that manufacture diving equipment or underwater photo gear have made statements against the whaling activities sanctioned by their government. If not then maybe, divers should consider this issue when making purchases. It may only be a small push but anything that can help should be tried. If those companies start loosing sales then they may start having a say on the matter. If they have already made statements against whaling, then they can be applauded but they need to increase their publicity so that we all know that they are attempting to change the Japanese position. It seems weak of us to continue purchasing Japanese products when the killing of whales continues. Our money may help make a difference.

This same argument could be applied against other whaling nations but I am not sure about any diving industry in those countries.