#121 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

I have an image that shows a hand of a well known dive guide firmly gripping / peeling back a seafan to give a photographer ( also well known ) a better shot of a pygmy seahorse.

I thought it was a little extreme but accepted the guide was well experienced and something of an expert on the subject matter that was being peeled and folded into cooperation.

I also observed that the fan appeared to be no worse the wear for the experience and that the pygmy was so happy to see the next photographer he posed and modeled just like before.

m 2 cents

#122 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Chopsticks were good enough for Larry Smith.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#123 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:22 AM

I have an image that shows a hand of a well known dive guide firmly gripping / peeling back a seafan to give a photographer ( also well known ) a better shot of a pygmy seahorse.

I thought it was a little extreme but accepted the guide was well experienced and something of an expert on the subject matter that was being peeled and folded into cooperation.

I also observed that the fan appeared to be no worse the wear for the experience and that the pygmy was so happy to see the next photographer he posed and modeled just like before.

m 2 cents

did you go back two years later? did you notice that the coral had died from being handled even though it wasn't broken on the day? did you notice that daily interference with the pygmy had interrupted its courtship behaviour and it hadn't bred for a few seasons? many things we affect happen with time, and aren't immediately obvious, but the overall effect might be worse.
[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#124 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

:P
One of my greatest worries, as a photographer, is how multiple assaults with a strobe affects the retinas of creatures that don't have eyelids to protect their eyes or pupils that adjust to rapid light changes. I see fellow photogs taking dozens of pics of the same critter. I always limit myself in the numbers I take.
I would hate to think that I may have blinded critters, assuring their deaths.
As far as gentile manipulation. I will. Those of you who say "absolutely NOT..." Have you ever picked up a frog, turtle, insect? You weren't too worried at stressing them? Are they any less fragile? I gently pick them up, examine them, and gently put them back down. They don't seem to need therapy afterwards.

Edited by AllisonFinch, 06 January 2008 - 05:49 PM.

#125 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:19 AM

Sometimes they get their own back....

http://www.thetimes.....aspx?id=674842

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#126 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

:ninja:

THAT"S FUNNY!!!
I've been lucky enough to have had a delightful encounter with an octo. It perched on my arm, flushed a happy blue color as I was stroking it. It lightly explored all my gear, curious if any was edible, I guess. After about 20 minutes of mutual admiration, it slowly left my arm and resumed its quest.

Edited by AllisonFinch, 13 January 2008 - 07:21 AM.

#127 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

When I was in Indonesia and wanted to photograph a unique subject (i.e. pygmy's, squats, crinoid shrimp) I simply asked a guide. He then gently used chopsticks to assist me in getting the shots I wanted. I view this as a lot more proactive towards doing the right thing than trying to either do it all myself or use my wife (who has no experience in animal manipulation). I would have caused a lot more damage and critter stress than doing it the slow, gentle way and using an experienced buddy. Did I ultimately manipulate? Yes. Did I show concern for what I might have done if I didn't ask for help? Yes. Is this, in itself, acceptable? I say yes, but am sure I'll get flamed by some of you....isn't this shit fun?

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com