• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moliu

moliu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:45 AM

I've got a pair of Z240 which I don't think are getting enough use. Other than trying to get into the water more, I've been thinking whether these two flash would work on land. That got me thinking is it possible to get the Z240 hooked up with a PC sync cord on land?

Does anyone have any experience? Is there an adapter that I need which will allow me to connect the Z240 to a PC sync cord?

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

You should be able to use the Z240 as an optically triggered slave above water. Just beware that you may burn out the strobe as it is designed for underwater cooling.

Otherwise, you could hack open a Sea and Sea sync cord, find the "fire" wire, and then wire that to a PC sync cord.

Either way, use at your own risk. You may be better off buying a dedicated land flash like one of the cheapy Sunpaks

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 ChasO2

ChasO2

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:23 AM

Yes, it would be great to be able to use our underwater flash on land, could save on weight for travel. I use my D200 in a Nexus housing and have been experimenting with the fiber optic firing of a Z240 to have ttl from the housing - it works! Some of this I have done on land in the housing, and the Z240 gives good ttl with the inbuilt camera flash to fire it using a fiber optic. It also seems to work without the fiber optic from reflected light as a slave but haven't yet done as much testing.

The Z240 doesn't appear to overheat but I'm not taking multiple shots in quick succession. With a 5 wire electrical connection it should also work but I haven't tried this yet on land outside the housing. So, if you have another flash it seems the Z240 can be used on land as a slave. It will probably work with electrical connection on land, but as James mentions be careful about overheating.

Charles