4 replies to this topic

#1 n2addict

n2addict

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:1. Diving<br />2. Diving<br />3. Diving

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hi my name is Ajith Fernando and I am from Sunny Sri Lanka, Thats the tear drop just under India in case you havent heard of it before. Not surprising since its a tiny island. But this also means that we have plenty of sea front and some great diving.

I am just an average diver but just starting out as an underwater photographer. Have been messing around with a P&S and now on the verge of investing in a better system. Hope to pick up some good tips to help me to decide. At the moment more or less decided on a Canon 40d but decesion can wait till mid Jan.

Happy diving and all the very best for the new year.

Ajith
Happy Diving

Ajith

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:54 AM

Welcome Ajith. The folks on Wetpixel will gladly help you spend your money.
Have a great year Wetpixelling.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:56 AM

Welcome. Hope you gain a wealth of information through wetpixel and it's members.

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#4 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

Hello Ajith and welcome to Wetpixel

Its been many, many years since I dived at Sri Lanka. I remember hiring some very dodgy kit from a chap at Galle (the deceased was reported to have said "it'll probably be alright" :P )

We found a very picturesque tanker which I was told had been sunk by a Japanese torpedo. The hole in its side seemed to confirm this.

Anyway, I hope the diving is as good for you as I fondly remember it.

Kind regards, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#5 n2addict

n2addict

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:1. Diving<br />2. Diving<br />3. Diving

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

Hello Ajith and welcome to Wetpixel

Its been many, many years since I dived at Sri Lanka. I remember hiring some very dodgy kit from a chap at Galle (the deceased was reported to have said "it'll probably be alright" :P )

We found a very picturesque tanker which I was told had been sunk by a Japanese torpedo. The hole in its side seemed to confirm this.

Anyway, I hope the diving is as good for you as I fondly remember it.

Kind regards, Tim

Hi Tim,

The diving is great the driving is not!

I think the tanker you are refering to is the "Conch" which belonged to the Shell company.

Sri lanka diving is still great an still as "adventurous" as you remeber it. But we have a great time which is the main thing. Hope you ill be able to make it back here sometime soon.

BTW I m just waiting for the current conflict to end. we will then have the best wreck diving in the World.
Happy Diving

Ajith