new opisthobranch id site

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

Erwin Kodiat has set up a new, very impressive website dedicated to opisthobranchs. Nudipixel (<www.nudipixel.net>) is a depository of images from around the world. Given the high percentage of people who shoot in the tropical Pacific entries from that area out-number those from other regions but even Croatia is represented by one photo. Bill Rudman's Sea Slug Forum (<www.seaslugforum.net>)remains the gold standard for getting expert verification and commentary however Erwin's site is an excellent resource as well. It even has one big advantage over the Sea Slug Forum. Instead of guessing at the genus or species then clicking through species page after species page to find a match, on Nudipixel you can browse through 200+ pages of images. In fact, Erwin has arranged Nudipixel so you can access the images in several different ways: through standard taxonomic classification, by genus, by species, by geographic location, by groups of species that look similar (a very nice feature), by photographer, by the expert who verified the identification, by browsing through the 200+ image pages, and even by the type of camera used for the shot. At moment 2,415 photos are included which represent 486 species of branchs; identifications of 34$ of the photos have been verified by experts to date. Flatworms are covered as well. Submissions of new photos are welcome. The 7 branch experts (and 1 poser :)* )on the board include names familiar to all slug enthusiasts such as Richard Willan, Dave Behrens, and Neville Colman. I'm hoping that everyone with images will start submitting them not only to the Sea Slug Forum but also to Nudipixel. Branchs can be so variable in appearance that the more images that are available for comparison the better off we all are. Erwin's site is going up on my toolbar right next to Bill's.

* Disclosure: I discovered the site friday night & within a few hours Erwin recruited me to help with the few polychaetes that get submitted by mistake

#2 kodiat

kodiat

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Leslie for promoting Nudi Pixel to this biggest community of Underwater Photographers, hopefully Nudi Pixel can be useful for other nudibranch enthusiasts here. To access it simply go to www.nudipixel.net

Erwin Kodiat has set up a new, very impressive website dedicated to opisthobranchs. Nudipixel (<www.nudipixel.net>) is a depository of images from around the world.....

#3 vinny

vinny

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:diving and more diving

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:28 AM

Great site

found 3 more nudi's i wanted to identify just browsing thru the photo's section
pictures are a lot easier than latin names !
cheers

#4 Annediver

Annediver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Opisthobranchs

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Leslie,

Excellent site, so now we East Coast "nudi girls" will have to see if we can even up the score a little by submitting some Atlantic and Caribbean species.

Happy New Year, Anne